What's new

Radeon 9600 video cards more unstable than Radeon 9500 video cards?

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
The Radeon 9500 video cards are often too expensive, but the Radeon 9600 video cards seem to have a lower price and are supposed to at least perform the same if not better, but have been seeing posts about Radeon 9600 video cards crashing PCs.

OP
RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
But, what about compatibility? It seems Radeon 9600 video cards have a good amount of compatibility problems. If I do upgrade to a Radeon 9600 XT video card in the future, I don't know if it would even work properly with my motherboard.

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
RJARRRPCGP said:
But, what about compatibility? It seems Radeon 9600 video cards have a good amount of compatibility problems.

Dude, where are you getting those ideas from? I'm running some relatively old games on this PC (i.e, Clive Barker's Undying), and they run just fine without any graphical errors or other compatibility problems.

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
I think he means hardware compatibility, and as long as you have a 2-4-or 8x AGP you should be fine.

OP
RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
What about with some of people that have their motherboards AGP 8X enabled
and still get crashes and possibly motherboards failing to POST?

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
Everything I have thrown at mine has run great. I love it and am not looking back at the old GF4 ti4200 at all. This card runs almost twice as good as it did.

Do make sure to get a real ATI over a "Powered By ATI" card, and stay away from SE model anything IMO. Nothing but a slow batch a poo. Go with Pro's or XT's

Reznor007

Since 9600 and 9500 are based on the same architecture, they should have about the same stability/compatibility.

The only difference is that regular and SE (maybe even pro's?) do not have the extra key for 1.5V AGP slots. By this I mean there is only 1 key space in the AGP connector, whereas 9600XT and any 97/9800 cards have 2 key slots.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Reznor, the 9600 and 9500 may be based on the same architecture, but they are indeed different chips. R300 != Rv350.

OP
RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Tagrineth said:
Reznor, the 9600 and 9500 may be based on the same architecture, but they are indeed different chips. R300 != Rv350.

Is that why I'm seeing posts about crashes and some not working at all with some motherboards?

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
RJARRRPCGP said:
Is that why I'm seeing posts about crashes and some not working at all with some motherboards?

No, that's probably more due to bad implementations of AGP 3.0 (8x) on the said mainboards.

Remember, GeForce256 and GeForce2 had the same problems moving up to AGP 2.0 (4x).

OP
RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Tagrineth said:
No, that's probably more due to bad implementations of AGP 3.0 (8x) on the said mainboards.

Remember, GeForce256 and GeForce2 had the same problems moving up to AGP 2.0 (4x).

But, these problems are also occurring with new motherboards :(.

james.miller

HELL YES. IT'S ME!
no they are not. The problems are almost always the users, not the card's.

Theres nothing wrong with the r9600's.

OP
RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
I'm just trying to wonder if ATI has cutted corners with the Radeon 9600 video cards that caused some newer motherboards to be imcompatible with them.