What's new

RADEON 8500 128Mb?????

Radeon 9700 256MB

i was pretty sure and yes i do believe i am right ... do a search for "9700 256MB" in google and see all the hits. as i understand it, you can send away from a 128MB module that doubles the existing 128MB ... that's what i heard before the card came out ... i will try to find a link too.

http://www.azpoint.net/articoli.asp?id=2502

i can't find anything to confirm that on www.ati.com so it's probably not true. and you guys are probably also going to say that there's no slot to add more RAM to the card also. it has 256 bit memory interface ... i think people are getting confused and spreading lies like me.

E

emuguy

OK ENUOGH IS ENOUGH,

ahem..............................you are all wrong

DEAD MAN.INC

??

Why don't you just get Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti 4600 with that there is nothing to worry about..
And i tought that ATI Radeon 9700 was ONLY card working with DX9???:getlost: (!) :nuke:

Rimmer

"Know you enemy"
Could you stop talking out of your ass? There is nothing at all true in this whole blurb

I've heard that 128MB is much faster than 64MB when using high resolution (1280x1024 and above) so his post is not complete rubbish, I think.

Possible

I'd say it just depends on how close you're getting to 64MB ... a pot of boiling water doesn't have to be full before water starts to splash out ... like i said, probably anything over 40MB.

i finaly got some professional talk on this here:

Fragmentation can also refer to RAM that has small, unused holes scattered throughout it. This is called external fragmentation. With modern operating systems that use a paging scheme, a more common type of RAM fragmentation is internal fragmentation. This occurs when memory is allocated in frames and the frame size is larger than the amount of memory requested.

now if you look at my previous posts and compair what i've said to this, then you will agree. i said page sizes get smaller and bigger and space out with little space in between ... if you're utilizing the GPU to look for big enough spage and it can't find it, it will either issue pages with locations at the end to find the rest of the page in the ram ... (thus fragmenting) ... then pages start to break up into several peices as things get worse. or it starts using the long "bus" ride to the system ram which will obviously cause some slow-down and then you're not even utilizing the GPU at all. with this being said, any higher resolution or request for more textures (especially on newer games) will show a greater difference between the 64mb and 128mb regardless as to whether or not it ever uses more than 64mb.

thine_impalor

Local spammer
huh??

ok let me get this straight, ID software is releasing d3 on the xbox as well, the xbox has a geforce3 gpu with 64MB, furthermore, WHAT games company would be deranged enough to release a game that needs 128mb when most ppl have 64mb cards?? heck even the gf4 ti 4600 has 64mb....
maybe the 80MB thing was the prerelease demo???

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Re: huh??

thine_impalor said:
ok let me get this straight, ID software is releasing d3 on the xbox as well, the xbox has a geforce3 gpu with 64MB, furthermore, WHAT games company would be deranged enough to release a game that needs 128mb when most ppl have 64mb cards?? heck even the gf4 ti 4600 has 64mb....
maybe the 80MB thing was the prerelease demo???

Well for one thing the console version will be optimised to all hell and fragmentation will be dealt with by the game code.

Second, the 80MB figure is for *high quality*, if you bump the quality down th 'medium' it probably does go down to 50 or less.

And finally, the Ti4400 and 4600 NEVER come with 64MB. The Ti4200 - the budget card of the GF4Ti line - has two versions, a 64MB and a 128MB. The 128MB ships with lower clock speeds - and yet, surprise surprise, the "slower" 128MB version whoops the 64MB card in some tests (Comanche 4 comes to mind).

ALSO!!!

oh my god, that is the most laughable posting ever. i like being wrong sometimes and challenging other people ... but this guy is compairing the Xbox to what we're talking about? ... the Xbox is for the TV ... the monitor has 4X the resolution of a most TV sets. even if the Xbox displays the same resolution, i still say we're compairing apples to organges ... geez ... sometimes the games are different. for anyone who has played GTA3 on the PS2 and PC ... they know the PC version is much better for example (resolution wise).

PS, my cell phone has less than 1MB of video RAM ... so i guess no videocard for the computer should have anything greater than that ... lol

OP
M

MEANGUNS!

I made up my mind and Im going to go for the best..

A friend of a friend tested the new ATI Radeon 9700 world wonder 128mb and says nothing will ever come close to this card.
He said its better then a xbox vid card and twice as much as the xbox.lol

Chibi Nick

Emutalk Member
MEANGUNS! said:
I made up my mind and Im going to go for the best..

A friend of a friend tested the new ATI Radeon 9700 world wonder 128mb and says nothing will ever come close to this card.
He said its better then a xbox vid card and twice as much as the xbox.lol
world wonder(I think you mean all in wonder)? nothing will ever come close (gffx comes close and beats it in some cases... with it's beta drivers... and there will be better ones soon enough) ?

the xbox has a modified gf3 card... of course it's better than that...

that was a sad sad post.

Credit, Credit

there will also be a RADEON 9900 soon with 15-25% of the performance and they have recently made modifications to the G Force FX card that turns off the noisy fan during 2D and something else (can't remember). as for the previous post, at least that person didn't list their CD ROM speed, when stating the specs of their PC ... lol ... i'm still laughing about that other guy who listed 52X CD ROM speed. come on, people ... the more you think about it, the more you will laugh. now, i only have to think of the number 52 and i will laugh out loud. at least he didn't state the color of the tower ... 52 ... lol ...