What's new

Question About The F.A.Q

StuMcBill

In the FAQ it says:
Q: How do I run games?
A: The emulator supports only selfbootable backups, original and non-selfbootable disks will not work.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Running CDs is not generally recommended, prefer using CD images instead.

Just wondering why running CD's in not recommended?

What is the difference?

Is it because of chance of burning out the motor in the CD drive?

Stewart

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
The emulator reads CDs at very low speed, as a result you may encounter many slowdowns while running a game. In order to avoid these slowdowns you have to use CD images.

refraction

PCSX2 Coder
well the biggest problem is Dreamcast's keep the cd constantly spinning, where on a pc if the disk isnt in use it stops it, which can cause longer loading times and pauses in games.

lucindrea

put a cd in your cd-rom and copy the entire contents to a HD folder ... time it
copy that folder to another HD , time that

just doing that will show a major differance .. but also concider , most cd-roms run in pio4 (dma is also common in dvd-rom/cd-roms is you set it up properly in the os ) but even if it is dma it's no where neer the 100 or 133 possable in HD's ... also keep in mind HD spin at 5400 ( or more common now 7200 ) rpm .. ALL THE TIME .. cd's will spin down when not useing them.
their is also alot of technical stuff on how cpu's and the motherboard buss waits for hardware int's allong with the 512,1mb,2mb or more buffers built into HD's that cd-r's just dont have ( burners have some for writing but it's not normly used in reading )

Nightmare

(when dream come true)
StuMcBill said:
Is it because of chance of burning out the motor in the CD drive?

here a question about the question about the F.A.Q. :happy:

do you know something who is able to burn out your cd drive motor ???

Last edited:
OP
S

StuMcBill

Nightmare said:
here a question about the question about the F.A.Q. :happy:

do you know something who is able to burn out your cd drive motor ???

No I don't know something who, as something refers to an object and who refers to a person!

Sorry if it was a stupid question, I just wondered and it didn't need a sarcastic (and grammatically incorrect) response such as yours!!