What's new

Question about MAME CHD games

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
Is there a good website with reviews and/or pics of some/all of the games that use CHD files in particular?

Those CHD's are fairly huge and I would rather not waste time finding or downloading unless the game appeals to me.

thanks

rcgamer

the old guy
not that i know of. most of them are pretty good games though. and with your processor you should be able to get pretty good speed with them. any games in particular you want to know about?

OP
L

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
thanks I'll check those sites out.

Not looking for any game offhand. Just hate wasting my time with game that don't at least make me say "that looks cool I wanna try".

Offhand are any of the "lightgun" games any fun without a lightgun?

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
On a vaguely MAME-related note, Christ, please anybody go get Flying Shark and tell me I'm not the only one that thinks it really is the hardest game of all time.

Just go find fshark (internal name) or Flying Shark (often with a (World) after).

Don't be fooled by the first level, either. And if you think that's impossible, well... have fun...

Let's get some mame-talk up and running here...

Allnatural

Xade said:
On a vaguely MAME-related note, Christ, please anybody go get Flying Shark and tell me I'm not the only one that thinks it really is the hardest game of all time.

Just go find fshark (internal name) or Flying Shark (often with a (World) after).

Don't be fooled by the first level, either. And if you think that's impossible, well... have fun...

Let's get some mame-talk up and running here...
Yeah, played it. Very tough. It's like, Dragon Spirit tough. :)

http://www.classicgaming.com/shmups/reviews/flyingshark/flyingshark.htm

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
Any others you can recommend of a similar style? I've got some exams coming up and I'll need stuff like this for quick revision breaks...

... yeargh play more games when exams are around, not less!

Allnatural

Xade said:
Any others you can recommend of a similar style? I've got some exams coming up and I'll need stuff like this for quick revision breaks...

... yeargh play more games when exams are around, not less!
I prefer newer shmups, anything Atlus/Cave, Psikyo, and 8ing/Raizing are good. If you want something really crazy, check out Mars Matrix from Capcom/Takumi. :cool:

kubota

CHD pains

Hi y'al. i need some help in regards to CHD images and getting them to work on MAME32 0.83. Its like this, i downloaded 3 CHD games. primrag2, biofreak(Ok laugh), and Kinst. The problem is that i follow all the instructions I have read which is basically this :
'put the CHD file in a folder named the same as the CHD example C:/mame32/roms/kinst , and run it from the Mame interface. but i keep getting error from mame saying i have fiules missing :huh: i don't think going into what files are missing for all three games will hope. suffice to say theres a lot. I'm confidant the CHD files are fine. primrag2.chd is 550MB, kinst.chd is 91.1MB and biofreak.chd is 90MB. am i really missing something? i read some where that you need roms or a zip of the chd in just the C:/mame32/roms directory with the chd in C:/mame32/roms/(gamefolder) directory, is this right. do i need to open the CHD file somehow and do something? or alter a cfg. :huh: please help if you can, its been driving me mad. I am running the aforementioned CHD.'s with MAME32 0.83. I have XP a gig of ram, a 2.5CPU an ATI 9800pro.
Thanks guys, kubota :p

Allnatural

Yes, most (all?) chd games have a companion rom which you place in the usual place... mame\roms\

You have your chd's in the correct place, just download the seperate roms for each game. This may explain it better.