What's new

Question about F-Zero X with Expansion Pak....

Lord A.

The Wu From The North
I'd like to know is it possible to get F-Zero X to work with Expansion Pak set to yes in 0.9.9.. I mean it utilizes it, and all other games I have work with it, even those that don't utilize it.. However, F-Zero X won't start on my system if I set Expansion Pak to Yes for it.. 1964 does something though, since Core and video are using CPU.. I've tried every video and audio plugin I've found, but it won't start with any of those.... :cry:

My system:

WinXP Pro SP1
AMD Athlon XP 2700+
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro OC'd
512 MB DDR RAM

P.S. Sorry if this specific question has already been answered somewhere on the forum, I tried to look for it but couldn't find it, so....

Trotterwatch

I don't think F-Zero does use the expansion pak, that message is AFAIK a quirk of emulation. It was originally meant to be the hook for the 64DD expansion to be used...

I could be talking shit, kinda remember that being the explanation though.

OP
Lord A.

Lord A.

The Wu From The North
Oh, thanks for the info.. I assumed (dumb me :blush: ) that it means the Memory expansion, because I have some weird image in my head that the vehicle textures were much more detailed.. At least for me the vehicles appear really plain, almost like all spaceships and stuff in the first Starfox on SNES.. I guess they were like that...?

-Shadow-

Banned
Trotterwatch said:

Yeah , you are wrong :p It's the memory expansion . I've tested it with Rayman 2 . When i put it on , it says "expansion pack detected" and a expansion pack is spinning on the screen , when it's off it doesn't show that screen .

But with Exp pack on , it crashes on two places on the game , there where you first find the magic orbs .

The cheats are also not working ( maybe because the values are stored elsewhere in the memory ?! ) , but the textures are looking nice :D

Memory expansion emuation seems to be buggy in some games , Episode 1 racer for example , but it works at least with exp pack requiring games like DK64 properly :D

OP
Lord A.

Lord A.

The Wu From The North
Ok, I found out why the textures look so "plain".. It's Rice's plugins (from 5.2.0 to 5.6.0 fix 3), that for some reason leave out names and numbers from the vehicles.. For example, the Red Gazelle hasn't got the number 1 nor the name on it's sides, it's just plain red.. Too bad that with other video plugins I've tried, Jabo's D3D6 1.5.1 and D3D7 1.4, and Direct64 0.5 alpha the game itself won't start with 0.9.9, it freezes when I've chosen the vehicle settings and the race should start (in practice mode).. In Pj64 1.5 the Jabo's D3D6 1.5.1 seems to work ok with this game.... I tried all texture related hacks and stuff with Rice's plugins, but none of them had any effect with this.... Is it just me or are they simply "missing" from Rice's plugins...?

EDIT:

I got Direct64 0.5 Alpha to show demo racing, though it cut off the audio for some reason with it.. The vehicles are missing the names etc with this one too in 0.9.9....

Last edited:

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Trotterwatch said:
I don't think F-Zero does use the expansion pak, that message is AFAIK a quirk of emulation. It was originally meant to be the hook for the 64DD expansion to be used...

Yes, you're right. Sorta like in OoT, there is a boot modifier that somehow triggers the requirement for an expansion pack to be used. Possibly a hook for the DD aswell, like so many other things in the game.

dataangel

If I remember corectly the 64DD went under the 64, and if you look on the bottom of your own 64 there is a panel you can take off with something that can be connected to underneath. I don't have a 64 around ATM though so I could be wrong.

Clements

He knows! The 64DD required you to have an expansion pack, and F-ZERO has a 64DD 'hook' which activates when you are using an expansion pack+64DD. However, 1964 has a bug in it that latches onto the expansion pack hook which it should not do. It doesn't show this message on a real N64 with or without the expansion pack (unless you have a 64DD but no expansion pack the message would probably show)

F-ZERO never required the expansion pack on a real N64, just the F-ZERO Expansion, which I believe used an extra 64DD diskette to be inserted into the 64DD at the same time as the N64 cart, as well as the expansion pack.