What's new

PsP Trojan Discovered By Symantec

Live4ever1

Noob Till I Die
"Security researchers have detected the first malware for Sony's Playstation Portable (PSP).

Security firm F-Secure has analysed and confirmed the report. Symantec refers to the exploit as Trojan.PSPBrick and labels it as a category 1 threat, the lowest level on its five-step scale as it does not spread to other devices.

The file claims to be crafted by 'PSP Team', according to a report on the PSP Updates enthusiast website." :http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2143419/first-psp-trojan-sighted

Man i Just read up on this and im scared to buy a psp but i thought it would be funny if my friends psp was to become infected.

Last edited:

bcrew1375

Um, how is that possible unless you have an exploit to run unsigned code? Does the virus automatically install an exploit in order to run itself? Or does it trick you into setting up an exploit yourself and running the virus program?

Last edited:

Niggy G

HTAFC will rise again!!!
Many people want to be able to run unsigned code (emu's ect).

To do this you need to be running version 1.5 firmware. However Sony ship new units with a later firmware.

I'm guessing the virus is up on the net pretending to be the firmware downgrader that a group created.

So if your downgrading your PSP make sure you get the stuff you need from a reputable site.

common sense really!

OP
Live4ever1

Live4ever1

Noob Till I Die
Yea thats true Niggy G true so the trojan is pointless unless ur real dumb huh i was just suprised about trojans already hiting PSP cus there aint really no point in it really just evil i say.
Anyhows thanks 4 the quick replys guys im not havin doubts no more lol cheers!!

Last edited:
OP
Live4ever1

Live4ever1

Noob Till I Die
wow thanks ickle_moi didnt know about that. But why are people making trojans for? Havent they got anything else better to do or are they trying to prove a point?

Last edited:

ickle_moi

Monkey Ball Addict..
it was disguised as a rom loader for nintendo ds, to trick pirates to into destroying their DS, most normal DS users/gamers are safe from it, provided you dont run homebrew code on your DS, you have nothing at all to worry about.

Same as with the PSP viruses/trojans

OP
Live4ever1

Live4ever1

Noob Till I Die
Ok great then that sums it all up and makes me feel safe lol thanx for the responses guys now i can advice people i know that own a DS or PSP on it and save them if theyre thinking of using homebrew programs .