What's new

PSP and MIPS 4 Emulation

blueshogun96

A lowdown dirty shame
Hey guys, It's been a while since I've posted here. Its great to be back :) I love this forum.

Anyway, I was just wondering, how hard would it be to emulate a MIPS 4 processor? I found a link on PSP's hardware documents.

http://hitmen.c02.at/html/psp_docs.html

Now you are probably thinking "you friggin idiot, you better not be trying to write a PSP emulator!". I know that PSP emulation isn't easy at all, and I didn't say I was going to try, although it would be fun to do so, even if I did fail, lol. I'm just wondering on your opinions. Thanks.

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
Probably not too hard. I can tell you from experiences that current hardware is in many ways easier to emulate than older hardware. It's less dependent on timings, and things still run even if the emu isn't exact. The difference is that they are much less documented, generally have much much more hardware, and require extensive optimization. But if you have the time, and are up for it, know your way around C++, then go for it man.
I felt the same way about starting my gamecube emu, after just doing chip8 and gb with very little programming experience. But so far, it's going well, and it's actually making decent progress.

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
Yeah i hope you give it a go. Im atcually surprised more people havnt attempted it!

OP
blueshogun96

blueshogun96

A lowdown dirty shame
lol. Ok guys, I will attempt to write a PSP emulator. No garuntees for success though, but... no guts, no glory! The psp is very similar to that of the ps2, and I am also familiar with GS emulation. But big issue is that much of the hardware remains undocumented, notably certain GE registers.

Last edited:

Cyberman

I will neither encourage nor discourage you. If you need technical information or technical clues that's what this forum is for. However I suggest taking your time at it. :D

Cyb

OP
blueshogun96

blueshogun96

A lowdown dirty shame
lol I wasn't expecting this much positive feedback, thanx. Working on some GE stuff now, it's definetly more advanced than the ps2's GS in many ways! This will be fun.

OP
blueshogun96

blueshogun96

A lowdown dirty shame
bcrew1375 said:
Well, if you're not encouraged, you'll probably lose your will to work on it. :)
lol, thats why I come here... because I can attempt somthin big and not be insulted :)

bcrew1375

ShizZy said:
Chip8/PSP, it's all the same thing really just more colors :p

Yeah, just more colors... right... So, if that's the case, why don't all the Chip-8 emu authors have working next-gen emus? :p

euphoria

Emutalk Member
bcrew1375 said:
Yeah, just more colors... right... So, if that's the case, why don't all the Chip-8 emu authors have working next-gen emus? :p
They're all afraid of the colors...

bcrew1375

blueshogun96 said:
lol, thats why I come here... because I can attempt somthin big and not be insulted :)

No, no, don't get me wrong. I want a PSP emulator and you're gonna make it for me :p.

bcrew1375

Yeah, whatever. Where's my emu!? :angry: Maybe I need to hire some slave drivers to give you a little more "encouragement".

OP
blueshogun96

blueshogun96

A lowdown dirty shame
bcrew1375 said:
Yeah, whatever. Where's my emu!? :angry: Maybe I need to hire some slave drivers to give you a little more "encouragement".
/me feel's the pain of an emu-author

:(