What's new

PS3 vs Xbox 360

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
I thought I'd entertain you a little...
So many say the PS3 is more powerful than the Xbox 360, but is it really? And all those who hype the Blu-ray, but is it really a blessing for the console?
I found a very interesting site which explained a lot: GotFrag DPAD - DPAD Home News Story - End all arguments: PS3 vs 360

To sum up some things...
The PS3 console is NOT more powerful than the Xbox 360. In fact, xbox 360 is probably more powerful than the PS3 and when it comes to true 1080p, the 360 will probably outperform the PS3 due to architectural flaws in the PS3. Clearly, Sony does not know how to design a GAME console. They've basically designed a COMPUTER.

Blu-ray... is it really a blessing? I would think not. The Blu-ray is SLOWER than the 360's DVD drive (more loading times, yay!)! So more space isn't that good, eh? The truth is that due to the PS3 architecture, the machine is going to choke if developers made bigger textures and levels (due to its "mere" 256 MB memory and poor bandwidth). So what about longer games? Well, are you willing to wait 10 years for games to come out that costs $1000? I think not. And don't get me started on CG movies... remember that the PS3 slogan is real-time graphics matching movies? Yup.

The processors... are they revolutionary? No! Think again! They are poor excuses of processors which makes life harder for developers!
To put it simply, today's PC processors are MUCH more powerful than these crap processors. They've stripped out thing like out-of-order execution and has a narrow execution engine. To make up for it, they used multiple cores, forcing developers to go parallel programming, which I might add, is not easy. Yeah. Nice one.

Both consoles also run an OS in the background which eats up resources. I'm not quite sure of the specifics, but the PS3's OS eats a lot of the valueble RAM and reserves one SPE. If the OS needs another SPE, it can simply steal it from any game that is currently running.

Well, that about sums it up. Check the link if you want more information on Sony's (and Microsoft's) poor systems. I must admit, though, that Microsoft has made a much better console than Sony (Microsoft's architecture is superior).

Last edited:

I am me

The one of one of planet one
O heck no im not reading this! but judgeing from what I have read in that blu-ray disk topic im going with they may be on the same level well somewhat except on weight francliy I would pick X360

OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

It's quite an interesting read (9 pages). I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to know a little more than just a conclusion. Some parts may be a little hard to understand but after reading it you'll get much smarter.

I am me

The one of one of planet one
It's quite an interesting read (9 pages). I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to know a little more than just a conclusion. Some parts may be a little hard to understand but after reading it you'll get much smarter.

Are you calling me stupid no just kidding Ill save the link for later

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
I'm agree with Doom arguments, but there's already a lot of discussion about PS3 lately, it would be a better idea to merge this with the PS3 pwns all thread

OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

And there are lot of threads about PS3 where the discussion has fallen off topic :p

BlueFalcon7

4x AA with a 95% efficiency is pretty sweet, and the unified pipeline arcetecture, I cant wait to see it more mainstream.

Interesting article though, eventhough I didnt understand everything...

Stezo2k

S-2K
Some good points there, a lot of them I agree about. I recon we'll see less PS3 games developed because of the architecture of the processor. I'm sure theres enough work to make a next gen game without complicating things. I'll probably get one eventually though when the price is right and theres some must have games for it (only one I can think of is MGS)

OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

Oh and btw, from recent it seems that apps running on Linux will get access to only the main processor (which is castrated as you read above), and Linux has no hardware graphics support.
...Erm, super computer anyone? Where's the "super" part? :ermm:

Clements

I had a strong suspicion (read: guess) that the PS3 would only be about on a par with Xbox360 once the specs of both machines were released, as it was obvious that Xenos was clearly more advanced than RSX, and the Cell appeared to rely too much on it's SPEs for performance, which would mean difficult development. At the time, I was shrugged off as being ignorant by Sony fanboys. These articles even shed new light on other glaring technical flaws that I could not have anticipated, such as the inability for the SPEs to perform branch prediction (crutial for AI processing that the SPEs were touted to do in the first place).

These articles and the screenshots of both systems running similar games pretty much confirms what people have already pointed out.

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
These articles and the screenshots of both systems running similar games pretty much confirms what people have already pointed out.

... that the Cell processor is only a phallus to show power to the masses...

Last edited:

Cheezyphil

megahuge gaming bwner
slightly off topic: would the ps3 have more or any overheating problems similiar to xbox360 because of its similiar specs?

OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

Yes, quieter than the Xbox 360! From what they say, it's much quieter (hardly noticeable).
Still, it IS possible, but I don't think I've read any such reports yet.

Stezo2k

S-2K
Yes, quieter than the Xbox 360! From what they say, it's much quieter (hardly noticeable).
Still, it IS possible, but I don't think I've read any such reports yet.
I can imagine it will be quieter with the blueray drive being slower. The main reason why the 360 is noisey is the DVD drive IMO. Doesn't really bother me though as I have my TV loud when I play games anyway

BlueFalcon7

According to hands on reviews, it's very quiet and manages to keep very cool.:)
I somehow find thst hard to beleive considering thet the 360 had melting problems at 160 watts, while the PS3 keeps its cool at 380 watts.

Given that Those who put their 360 in the dusty corners that get the melting 360s.

"Thats just one of those things that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that a machine is more than 100% efficient"

smegforbrain

slightly off topic: would the ps3 have more or any overheating problems similiar to xbox360 because of its similiar specs?

There are initial reports that the PS3 may in fact be having some overheating problems. Hard to say at this point if it's going to be widespread or not.

In the end, yeah, the specs do look pretty similar. So, it'll come down to who has the better games, because, let's face it, games is where MS and Sony are getting their money anyways.

As for the architecture of the PS3, I think it'll get easier for developers as time goes on and they get more used to handling it.

In the end, it's early in the ballgame and, like consoles past, the full potential won't be realized (if ever) until these consoles are several years old.

However, I have to think that if Blue Ray take offs (which it could; it isn't just Sony backing it), MS will be at a disadvantage because while they now have a $200 HD-DVD add-on for the XBox 360, they will not be making games that are HD-DVD capable. So, the question becomes: how far can the potential of the DVD be stretched, or do developers for the 360 just resort to multi-disc games?

Allnatural

However, I have to think that if Blue Ray take offs (which it could; it isn't just Sony backing it), MS will be at a disadvantage because while they now have a $200 HD-DVD add-on for the XBox 360, they will not be making games that are HD-DVD capable. So, the question becomes: how far can the potential of the DVD be stretched, or do developers for the 360 just resort to multi-disc games?
I don't think this will make or break either console, but it's definitely going to be a potential problem for the 360 and Wii. The current (previous?) gen proves that media size matters. Many games that I would have prefered to buy for the GC I bought for the PS2 instead because too many compromises were made for the GC's smaller discs (reduced texture quality, heavily compressed audio). Sure, you could solve the problem with a multi-disc release, but that increases cost, and I'm sure that many developers will opt to squeeze everything possible on a single disc with reduced quality. I'm no fan of Blu-Ray, and Sony's real motives are obvious, but from a gaming standpoint it's a step in the right direction.