What's new

PS2 cleaning

smegforbrain

Ok, I've had my PS2 four over 4 years now. It's starting to show it's age I think.

I was just playing that new game, Mercenaries, a bit ago, and after the very first mission, the game locked up. The disc seems to be fine (Blockbuster rental), and I've heard the game might have lockup issues, but cleaning my PS2 or something seems to be something I need to try as well.

Plus, it's been sounding like utter crap when I try and load my GameShark disc, and it's having problems with other games as well.

Any suggestions on method, etc? I did a search and came up with a site, but I'm wondering if it's even worth the trouble, or if I should just get a PStwo at this point.

Stezo2k

S-2K
Jaz said:
Apparently those crappy CD cleaner CD's do the job.

yeah, or his laser might be wearing out.... its worth trying a cheap cd cleaner though to make sure it isn't a dirty laser, it's best to fork out £1 rather than £100 on a new PS2

Eagle

aka Alshain
I can't reccomend the CD Cleaners. If your content to just buy another one, then you might as well try. If you don't want to damage this one further, the CD cleaners use hard brushes that can knock the alignment on a laser off its calibration making it not function at all. This might not be as important for a PS2, it isn't on a CD player because the audio discs don't require such precision. DVD players are a completely different story, if you use one of those on your DVD player you are likely to damage it. DVD players require a much more precise laser calibration, a slight fraction off from where it should be will make it unable to recognize a disk. (I learned this the hard way)

Moose Jr.

Raging Moose
Google Ps2 cleaning...There are quite a few tutorials available on how to pull it apart and clean the laser directly. I cleaned my sisters 3 or 4 times whenever it started acting funky with no harm done. It only takes about an hour max the first time through and less each subsequent time.

OP
smegforbrain

smegforbrain

Alright, thanks guys.

Getting one of those slim PStwo's will probably be something I'll consider down the road regardless, but I've got other things I want to throw my money at right now. :)