What's new

Project64 v2.1.0.1 Majora's Mask plugin problems

Muyfa666

Hi people.

I have been messing with MM a couple of hours now, and I can't really get it right.

-With Jabo's D3D8 plugin, most things look right, but eg. then sun are cut off
-With Glide64 (more or less any version I've tried) the lens flare from the sun does not work.

Are there any way to fix any or both of these problems. I can take a scrshot if needed.

Toasty

Sony battery
In Glide64, enable depth buffer emulation to correctly emulate the lens flare effect. (IIRC you have to enable advanced configuration options in the plugin's settings to see the option.)

OP
M

Muyfa666

You mean software depth buffer emulation? That completely removes all liglens effehtning effect for me...

Toasty

Sony battery
I believe you should be able to attach the image to a post. (See Manage Attachments under Additional Options when composing a post in the advanced view.) If you can't, then separate out the parts of the URL so it doesn't trigger the URL filter and I'll edit the text into a link. (IE, spell out "dot" or "slash" or whatever you need to do for it not to think your posting a URL.) Sorry about the spam filter inconvenience; as you post more the limitation will automatically be lifted.

Toasty

Sony battery
The lens flare effect should, by design, be obstructed by buildings and other structures between the camera and the sun (when the depth buffer is correctly emulated). That said, are you sure that in the second shot you're in a position where you should be seeing the effect? If you go out to the open field in the day time and look straight at the sun the effect should definitely be visible. Is it not?

OP
M

Muyfa666

Feeling a bit thick now... you are 100% right! :)

The lens flare is very much working out in the field with software depth buffer emulation enabled.

Now that I think about it, on my screenshots, the lens flare should not be possible as I am so close to the wall. Lovely. Now I can enjoy this gem of a game.

One more question please?

The Pictobox takes ages when I snap a picture, and the image is very muddy. Not a great problem thou as I can make it out, but I remember from the GC Collection that there were no delay when taking pictures. Also the picture wasn't very muddy if I recall correctly. With Jabos D3D8 plugin the delay is still there, but the image is clear as day. Which is more accurate?

Toasty

Sony battery
Technically speaking, Glide64 is more accurate, since on the original hardware the resolution was very low, and the N64 used a low resolution buffer to store the picture. When played on the original console where everything was rendered at low resolution, the photo doesn't look out of place, but it stands out in stark contrast when played on an emulator with high resolution graphics. Frame buffers are one of those things that are tricky to handle consistently and prettily when you're playing a game at a resolution completely different than it was designed to run at. Jabo's plugin has tweaks that cause the frame buffer to be rendered at the same resolution as the display in this instance. Glide64 can do this in some cases too (like the pause screen background, if my memory's correct) but evidently it does not do this on the Pictobox photos.

OP
M

Muyfa666

So this is all accurate according to the real N64 version? Also the "long" delay when taking a picture?

Are there any special reason why the NGC version won't emulate correctly? To many hacks for the NGC?

Toasty

Sony battery
The delay is caused by differences in how the N64 and PCs handle graphics. On the N64, the graphics processor rendered a copy of the scene to a buffer, then the CPU probably did some filtering to the buffered picture, probably compressed it in some way to make it more compact, and then stored it. Emulating these functions in the way that the N64 accomplished them is inefficient and time-consuming on a PC, since PCs have separate memory for graphics and CPU usage and this operation involves copying lots of data back and forth repeatedly between the two. On the N64, the CPU could directly access the rendered buffer without needing to do repeated copy operations. At least that's my understanding -- I may not be 100% correct.

Are you referring to playing the GC version on the GC or playing the ROM from the GC version on PJ64? (And which part of the game doesn't emulate correctly in said venue?)

OP
M

Muyfa666

My bad, the incorrect GC emulation was due to a bad plugin it seems. Played the whole Woodlands yesterday. No issues. :)

OP
M

Muyfa666

Still having a tiny bit of a problem... in the Snowhead Temple, you need to use the Lens Of Truth on two places to see stray fairies.

None of the fairies show with this effect. Can it be fixed? I tried some setting combos, but nothing worked so far.

EDIT: Most effects from the Lens work, like ladders on the mointain etc, but not the fairies.

Toasty

Sony battery
Unfortunately, I don't believe there's a fix for that issue at this time. Fortunately, I'm pretty sure those are the only two spots in the game where it's an issue, and with a little trial and error you can still hit the fairy bubbles with the bow and arrow.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Hi people.

I have been messing with MM a couple of hours now, and I can't really get it right.

-With Jabo's D3D8 plugin, most things look right, but eg. then sun are cut off
-With Glide64 (more or less any version I've tried) the lens flare from the sun does not work.

Are there any way to fix any or both of these problems. I can take a scrshot if needed.

That's ridiculous! Bummer! The sun was rendered properly since Project64 1.4! (A dozen years ago!)

I can't recall that even being an issue in recent times. Especially with Nvidia.

Jabo's 1.4 Direct3D 7 plugin did this without a problem, IIRC, so why it's broken in a recent version??

Last edited:
OP
M

Muyfa666

Yea, too bad. Oh well. If worse comes to worse I can always play the Virtual Console versions on my Wii U. They are flawless I hear. :)

OP
M

Muyfa666

Got yet another issue now... Beaver's Race! Haha. Timing issues makes it impossible to win. This is obviously a known problem with PJ64 V2.X.

Can it be fixed, or do I need to run V1.6.1 instead?

EDIT: Nevermind. I found a fix for it that works fine. :)

Last edited: