What's new

Project64 taking up 100% CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

RebirthSeph

Ancient Gamer
Just since a few minutes ago, Project64 has started taking a ton of CPU. It starts using more and more CPU every second that it is open. It went from 0% CPU to 100% CPU. (It was at 200,000 K Mem Usage)

What is wrong, and how do I fix it? It crashes my computer because of this.

Clements

RJARRRPCGP said:
That's normal when running a ROM. Another n00b :(.

Er... no, it isn't normal for a machine with a fast enough processor. It only takes 100% CPU on a slow computer or if the speed limiter is disabled then all available CPU power is used for FPS.

OP
RebirthSeph

RebirthSeph

Ancient Gamer
Thats 81% of my CPU, and I didn't get a screenshot of 100%, because by then, pretty much the whole computer would have been frozen. I don't understand why its never done this, but now it is.

[EDIT] Wait, 125kb? Are you looking at the right one? Its the top process.

Last edited:

bcrew1375

RebirthSeph said:
Thats 81% of my CPU, and I didn't get a screenshot of 100%, because by then, pretty much the whole computer would have been frozen. I don't understand why its never done this, but now it is.

[EDIT] Wait, 125kb? Are you looking at the right one? Its the top process.

I believe he was referring to the image you linked. Though the dimensions are a little large.

mfarouk

Try This

Hey You may try what i say may solve the problem :p
sometimes when your Computer Crash the Value of cpu cache be disabled
then i think you should try to enable it from bios
you will find it as CPU cache l2

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
RJARRRPCGP said:
That's normal when running a ROM. Another n00b :(.

*sigh* Another n00b. :(

... even on my 1.8ghz p3, 100% cpu is never used at all times, like Clements said, only when the cpu is too slow to have any idle time from running the rom, or frame limit is off.

This is running with Jabo's Audio and Sync Game to Audio on. If you have Sync Game to Audio on, try pressing F4 to limit framerate (which will cut down on CPU usage).

Last edited:
OP
RebirthSeph

RebirthSeph

Ancient Gamer
I always have the game to have limit framerate. Its odd, it seems like a memory leak, or something, because the mem usage keeps going up.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Clements said:
Er... no, it isn't normal for a machine with a fast enough processor. It only takes 100% CPU on a slow computer or if the speed limiter is disabled then all available CPU power is used for FPS.

Well, for simple Nintendo64 games, you're right, but for most Rare games, that's normal.

Also, A Pentium 4 2.66 Ghz isn't as fast as an Athlon XP at 2.048 Ghz, likely because Pentium 4s, except for the expensive Pentium 4 EEs and maybe Pentium 4 Prescotts? have a measly 8 KB L1 cache!!!

I know, because I ran benchmarked my Athlon XP T-bred 2000+ processor OC'ed to 2.048 Ghz with Sandra 2004 and my Athlon XP at 2.048 Ghz is comparable to at least a Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz!

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
cooliscool said:
*sigh* Another n00b. :(

... even on my 1.8ghz p3, 100% cpu is never used at all times, like Clements said, only when the cpu is too slow to have any idle time from running the rom, or frame limit is off.

This is running with Jabo's Audio and Sync Game to Audio on. If you have Sync Game to Audio on, try pressing F4 to limit framerate (which will cut down on CPU usage).

Stop it. I hope this thread gets closed :(.

RadeonUser

I see no reason to lock this thread...

I find CPU usage goes pretty high when sync game to audio is turned on when using jabo's audio plugin -- which is probably done by design. You might consider looking around for another audio plugin if this is the problem...

If its not audio related then I'd go with what the others are saying... make sure fps limiter is on. Also double check your video plugin configuration and make sure its using the defaults. Well, that actually goes for everything... try and make sure PJ64 is running on its default settings, if you find memory usage and cpu usage stabilizes then either you modified something you "werent supposed to" or something got messed up (it happens).

Other than that, make sure your system is bug free (no virus, malware, adware, spyware, etc...), is loaded with the latest drivers (or what people recommend on these boards) and well... Keep us informed... We might not be able to help but we'll try. Well I cant really think of anything else, If I do I'll come by again... sometime :)

Oh yea, it helps to posts your computer's full specs, sometimes we can spot a problem just by looking at the specs.

OP
RebirthSeph

RebirthSeph

Ancient Gamer
FPS limiter on. No spyware adware or virus.

Dell Computer
Windows XP Home 2002, Service Pack 1
Pentium 4 2.66GHz
512 MB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

Anything else?

Chris_W

RebirthSeph said:
FPS limiter on. No spyware adware or virus.

Dell Computer
Windows XP Home 2002, Service Pack 1
Pentium 4 2.66GHz
512 MB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

Anything else?

I know this Sounds silly but....

Have you rebooted incase of Any Hangs in the Background like a p2p app or even a Zombie PJ or 1964 that arnt showing in the Proccess even an IM like Yahoo or Trillian can.

Also how about a good Old Fashioned Uninstall Folder Reg Keys Unreg ?

A Driver Update could have caused this and you need to reinstall a clean PJ.

Just food for thought i guess :)

sheik124

Emutalk Member
RebirthSeph said:
Dell Computer
i know this isn't helping, :p but thats your problem :whistling :yucky: eww dell
try downloading the newest drivers from nVidia.com for your GeForce, and getting DX9 if you don't already have it

OP
RebirthSeph

RebirthSeph

Ancient Gamer
I have every single update for this computer, heh. Windows, Drivers, etc. Yes, DX9 too.

And yes, I've rebooted. I think the problem may lie where that I have been using a new plugin lately. I don't know though, I'll have to remove it and find out.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
RJARRRPCGP said:
Well, for simple Nintendo64 games, you're right, but for most Rare games, that's normal.

Also, A Pentium 4 2.66 Ghz isn't as fast as an Athlon XP at 2.048 Ghz, likely because Pentium 4s, except for the expensive Pentium 4 EEs and maybe Pentium 4 Prescotts? have a measly 8 KB L1 cache!!!

I know, because I ran benchmarked my Athlon XP T-bred 2000+ processor OC'ed to 2.048 Ghz with Sandra 2004 and my Athlon XP at 2.048 Ghz is comparable to at least a Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz!

It has NOTHING to do with L1 cache, it has to do with the fact that Athlons perform more operations per clock cycle that a Pentium 4 (similar case with Pentium 3, it performs more operations per clock cycle that a P4). That's why you don't see 3GHz Athlon XPs. Clock speed means jack shit to AMD, it's all about how the CPU performs, which isn't necesserily a bad thing.

I haven't seen a post you've made where you didn't post some bullcrap about how you think computer hardware works.. Call me flaming, whatever, give me a referral, whatever, but your posts rarely ever are correct.. wait, did I say rarely? I meant never. :)

Last edited:

Clements

RJARRRPCGP said:

You said that it was normal when running a rom ("a" is the indefinite article, so it implies "any" in this context), when it clearly isn't, thus my contradiction. Higher requirement games like Goldeneye take more cycles, but they are in the minority, and even this game hardly taxes my CPU at all, in-game giving ~66% use. His CPU is not too much slower than mine in perfomance, and is probably faster than your overclocked TBred or whatever you have.

This guy is obviously getting 100% use with all games, this is not normal at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.