What's new

Project64 corrupted my registry???

EagleEye

I dunno why, but running this emulator spelled death to my computer, forcing me to reformat/reinstall the os. Ok, here's what happened, I downloaded Project64, upzipped it in it's own dir along with a few roms, configured it, and tried starting up Goldeneye. The computer sat there for maybe 30-45 seconds, then the screen went black, seeming like it was loading the game. Then, I got a BSOD and had to restart my comp. After that, I couldn't boot into windows anymore because of a corrupted registry. Maybe this prog isn't compatible with parts of my system? My guess is that a possible bug caused it to crash while adding a registry entry, thus corrupting the thing altogether.

Anyway, here are my specs:

p3 1ghz
512mb pc 133 ram
i815 mobo
Kyro2 64mb using latest drivers
Advance Logic sound card
WindowsXP

Could my Kyro2 be the problem? Or is this emu somehow not compatible with WinXP? In the readme.txt, the Kyro2 isn't listed in the compable gfx cards list, nor the incompatible list. Has anyone else with either WinXP and/or a Kyro2 got this emu to work before?

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

jvolel

Destoryer of worlds
I DUNNO........

but i can't seem to install or do a couple of things like shutdown my comp with out having to restart ever since ive used any emulator

RadeonUser

This seems to be more human error than an emulator... I have yet to hear of an emu messing up any one's computer (any REAL emu, not the fake rip-offs)

N-Rage

most Roms will hang PJ64 badly for me under WinXP, 1964 will run em with the very same plugins. I mean Roms that are supposed to work like F-Zero or GE.

I can point ANY problem I have purely to WindowsXP - When i use Windows98 everything works.
XP is just unmature crap.

Yet a Emu wont corrupt your registry or mess with other settings on your system.

crazytopp

dont blame pj

hey u said u installed pj with a couple of roms well thing about it. What about if u dl the wrong rom or one that had some kind of viros on it. Pls dont balme pj look what u are dling and so on nemu work really fine on me.
sorry for speling:blush:

Glurak

umm a rom can't have a virus in it if the emu is well coded and pj is. I mean a rom is totally emulated it can't access stuff like your registry... but maybe the emu he d/led had an virus in it (no one knows where he downloaded it from...)

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
unless u loaded ur comp with crap(ie other things that messed up the Reg), WinXp shouldnt be a problem.

i play F-Zero X and GE all the time on pj and winxp without a problem.

if u see it again, try to read what the second paragraph of the BSOD says it may be helpful. i found out i had a driver problem once(hint, hint)

EdgeBlade

Brandonn
The only problem WinXP _EVER_ gave me is because of the detnatorXP 23.11 drivers. Using 22.80 I have no problems at all