What's new

Project64 1.6 runs on Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GarulfoLinux

Hello everybody,

I wanted to try Project64 1.6 running with Wine and first, Project64 crashed. In fact, it was Jabo's Direct3D plugin that doesn't works. I downloaded glN64 plugin (for windows, so *.dll) and i tried again and there, my rom worked.

I didn't try with another graphic plugin but if you want to play with Project64, download and select glN64 plugin in Project64.

There, three screenshots showing Project64 running on Linux :

Project64's main window

Zelda64 OOT

Another screenshot of Zelda64 OOT

Enjoy! :linux:

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
you can't claim project64 works on linux unless all the parts of project64 are working in it.

if jabo's D3d8 isn't then you can hardly claim it does as the jabo plugins are the defaults.

Wine has some issues with some Dx8 functions. still.

OP
GarulfoLinux

GarulfoLinux

you can't claim project64 works on linux unless all the parts of project64 are working in it.

if jabo's D3d8 isn't then you can hardly claim it does as the jabo plugins are the defaults.

Wine has some issues with some Dx8 functions. still.

that doesn't impede using of Project64 on Linux. A plugin is a plugin, project64 is the core of program, without jabo's plugin you can play with another graphic plugin so, i can say that Project64 works on Linux(with glN64 plugin for example).

Your note is a little stupid..

squall_leonhart

by saying it doesn't impede it, your very wrong, it does, gln64 isn't the greatest of plugins for one, and doesn't have nearly the same built in opcode support as the Jabo Dx8 plugin, not to mention that
it doesn't render nearly the same amount of effects as jabo's. your best off using Glide Wonder Plus if it works, but even that does have some issues still, though all plugins do really.

theres also the fact that your not actually running it on linux, your running it on a self contained emulation of certain aspects of windows, running within linux, in a bastardly way it can be compared to DosBox, in terms of the general idea of it.

your topic name is misleading, you would've have been better off putting Project64 1.6 runs on Wine.

OP
GarulfoLinux

GarulfoLinux

hm, you barter ..

I specify in my topics that Project64 works with Wine. Then, everbody don't use the same graphic plugin (in this case, jabo's plugin).

Toasty

Sony battery
theres also the fact that your not actually running it on linux, your running it on a self contained emulation of certain aspects of windows, running within linux, in a bastardly way it can be compared to DosBox, in terms of the general idea of it.

your topic name is misleading, you would've have been better off putting Project64 1.6 runs on Wine.
Wine Is Not an Emulator. DoxBox is an x86 emulator with a DOS environment included in it. Wine is an implementation of the Windows API that was written for *nix (though it has also been ported to other platforms).

This difference is readily apparent, as programs run with Wine do not incur the performance penalties that typically come with running code through emulation. In fact, some programs even perform better with Wine than with the actual Windows API. Simply put, Wine is a compatibility layer and is a replacement for the Windows API, not an emulator that runs parts of Windows on Linux.

It's true that PJ64 won't run on 'naked' Linux, without Wine. But it also wouldn't work on Windows without the Windows API. The only difference is that Windows comes with the Windows API, while Wine is an optional component of Linux. Anyway, just wanted to clarify that. Peace. :flowers:

squall_leonhart

Emulation refers to the ability of a computer program or electronic device to imitate another program or device. Many printers, for example, are designed to emulate Hewlett-Packard LaserJet printers because so much software is written for HP printers. By emulating an HP printer, a printer can work with any software written for a real HP printer. Emulation "tricks" the software into believing that a device is really some other device.

therefore Wine is classified as an Emulator. wine is attempting to imitate windows, its an emulator of sorts.

the developers can say what they like, but its a clear cut emulator, saying otherwise is to defy the definition of emulation itself.

Last edited:

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Squall, seriously, shut the fuck up. Every single post you make lets the world realize just how much of a stupid, know-it-all moron squall_leonhart really is. Toasty was entirely correct.

In other words, you're digging (or already have) yourself a very large grave, which I for one am ready for you to rest in.

Trotterwatch

Squall, seriously, shut the fuck up. Every single post you make lets the world realize just how much of a stupid, know-it-all moron squall_leonhart really is. Toasty was entirely correct.

In other words, you're digging (or already have) yourself a very large grave, which I for one am ready for you to rest in.

I could hug you for that post :D lol Spot on in every regard.

Toasty

Sony battery
The term emulation has a broad range of definitions, depending on the context in which you're speaking. Here, I usually interpret it as a program that imitates hardware, allowing code that was written for one hardware configuration to be run on another by creating a virtual computer in software. The last sentence in your definition sums it up.

Since the underlying hardware for a Linux system with Wine can be exactly the same as that of a system running Windows with its API, Wine wouldn't qualify as an emulator under that definition. If you define emulation differently that I do though, then perhaps Wine would be an emulator by that definition. For example, your definition apparently includes software that imitates software, which I suppose Wine would be. But then where do you draw the line? There's lots of software out there that does the same thing as other software. Are they all emulators? Is OpenOffice.org a Microsoft Works emulator?

I apologize if my post sparked an argument.

Last edited:
OP
GarulfoLinux

GarulfoLinux

I'm entirely agree with Toasty.
Squall, seriously, shut the fuck up. Every single post you make lets the world realize just how much of a stupid
I'm also entirely agree with cooliscool.

Last edited:

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Toasty, it wasn't your fault the argument began.

As always, squall decides to reply to a very legitimate and potentially useful post with utterly irrelevant politics which seem to serve no other purpose than to either a) make squall_leonhart look "smart", or b) start an argument. Looks like a little bit of a and b in this case.

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
Toasty, it wasn't your fault the argument began.

As always, squall decides to reply to a very legitimate and potentially useful post with utterly irrelevant politics which seem to serve no other purpose than to either a) make squall_leonhart look "smart", or b) start an argument. Looks like a little bit of a and b in this case.

Well i agree with that, he used to be so placid too :plain: but now thinks he is the wikpedia on emulation =]

Btw Squall this is a quote from the wiki :

The name 'Wine' derives from the recursive acronym Wine Is Not an Emulator.

I suggest you read this and stop making a fool out of yourself : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WINE

Unless of course you think that the people that wrote it were morons.

Anyway on topic

Nice find that in runs in Linux, albeit using wine :)

Last edited:
OP
GarulfoLinux

GarulfoLinux

If Jabo & Zilmar are agree to release the sources codes of Project64 1.6, i'm there to port this version on Linux :) .

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
If Jabo & Zilmar are agree to release the sources codes of Project64 1.6, i'm there to port this version on Linux :) .

Why not port 1.4 first :D I am sure if you did that they would be more than willing to give you (maybe not the general public) the 1.6 source to port :)

OP
GarulfoLinux

GarulfoLinux

Why not port 1.4 first
Because it isn't "interesting" to port the version 1.4 of Project64. Mupen64 on Linux is enough good to be compare to Project64 1.4. If i must to do it, i prefer use my efforts for v1.6 instead of v1.4 . :)

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
Mupen64 on Linux is enough good to be compare to Project64 1.4. :)

I wouldn't go that far. Mupen64 on Linux is slow, has sound issues, very hard to achieve gamepad support, low compatibility, some big occasional lockups........ Whilst Project 64 1.4 does not (it has bugs don't get me wrong but its a miles ahead of mupen)

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Wine is not an emulator. Not in the same definition as project64, or in any other definition. Why? Because wine does not emulate windows in any sense: It implements the Windows API, but not in a way like that of Windows itself implements the Windows API, so its not an emulator in the sense it does the same thing as the other app. Since it does not do any ACTUAL emulation, its not an emulator in the classic sense either. VMWare is an emulator in that sense, even though technically it does virtualization. So i don't think theres any way to state that Wines an emulator - it doesn't function the same as Windows or emulate Windows.

Mupen64 isn't really that bad, though it is not for the slower PCs. Project64 1.4 is a downgrade from it in many aspects. For one thing, Project64 has GUI and Jabo over Mupen64 - and some speed - but nothing else. Personally, I think Rice Video is better, and GUI is very unimportant considering Mupen64's is well enough to use.

Project64 1.6 and 1.7 run on Linux... I've seen both of them running before. Jabo is working somewhat well, Rice is working somewhat better. And Wine is not a platform, it is a set of libraries that implement most of the Windows API on top of the Unix API, So it really does "run" on Linux. The Project64 binaries are cycling on the CPU, making a few calls to Wine that make a few more calls to Linux.

So, In other words, Wine is not an emulator in any sense. Mupen64 is better than PJ 1.4 in most senses, except speed. And Project64 runs under Linux and will most likely to continue to do so.

The deal here is that for complete stability and speed with Project64, a native port is necessary, but that will never happen.

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
Personally, I think Rice Video is better.

Than Jabo's 3d8 ?

No way, Jabo's 3d8 has far less gfx issues in games (very very few) (especially the 1.7 version of it) than rice video.

If you try a good selection of games you will see that Jabos 3d8 outperforms Ricevideo.

Don't get me wrong its a great plugin but i think Jabos 3d8 has long since superseded rice video.

Status
Not open for further replies.