What's new

Project 64 Audio Plugin

Penguins

K. I got an idea here. You know all those MIDI's that you can download off the net? Well, if you can replace textures in a game, can't you do the same with audio? I mean, you could dump the audio into a game folder, then you could replace it with whatever MIDI's you want. You could have remixed audio, or completly different! Anyhow, it's just a thought. And maybe, because the PJ64 1.7 setting's support HLE and LLE sound emulation, you could have a check in the audio plugin as to whether or not you wanted to use the HLE or LLE option.

Penguins:canadian:

Last edited:
OP
Penguins

Penguins

hmmm... seems there has been multiple people who have said this before... whoops... well.. I think if you looked at the Hex and saw what it was calling, then you could write a plugin that interupts the call and replaces it with the corresponding sound file. Be that MIDI, WAV MP3 or OGG.

Penguins

CpU MasteR

omg h4x
You obviously have no clue how the N64 processes its sounds and music, neither do I but I might have an idea so listen up....

(Mind you I am basing this on what I have grabbed from a few N64 games, such as MarioKart 64 and you will find some stuff to play with at the end of this post.)

A basic Nintendo 64 game contains a bunch of samples stored in a what is called a "Sound Bank." Then list (Maybe a MIDI file, this is noted in the N64 Development Manual) picks the samples and plays them in a order similar to MIDI.

Make this simple, I have extracted samples from MarioKart 64 and used a MIDI file I found on the internet (Which I take no credit for because someone else did it ;)) to playback using FLStudio 6.

I have attached the MarioKart 64 Select Screen with MIDI, and Samples used in this track. The mixdown file is mkscreen.mp3, also I tossed in the legendary "Welcome to Mario Kart-a!" to tease you which is labed as they were dumped using the utility I used.

Enjoy.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
most of those midi files on the net are actually dumped from the game, as the game itself uses midi format for game music.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
don't beg, it doesn't become you.
the Audio format in the cartridge is a format of .mid, as the music generation of the game is Synthesized midi.

there has been plenty of discussion of this and another recently where a reviewer complained that Twilight princess would've done better with Orchestrated music instead of the Midi synthesized music that it uses.

other examples of games that use synthesized midi music is Final Fantasy 7, 8 , 9 , 10,.. 10-2, etc