What's new

Problems with Paper Mario

vulture

OK... first off, I'd like to say that I have ALREADY INSTALLED glide64 and evoodoo to make this work. It still gives me problems with the graphics though. For example, the flashing screen still happens when I'm at shooting star summit, and in some other areas (like the sewer place under toad town). Also, in the Dry Dry Ruins, the graphics are really screwed up, like the ruins key sitting on the floor somewhere just looks like a blue box where they key is supposed to be. Whenever I kill an enemy and coins come out, it displays the sparkle that coins have but I never see the actual coin. I didn't have any problems running this in the Koopa Bros. fortress or in toad town, so is there any way to fix my problem?

My system: Intel P4 2.53 Ghz, Windows 2000, Geforce4 ti4200 128mb, 512mb ram (I don't know what kind but I think it's called DDR something... I'm no computer genius) and a SoundBlaster auidgy sound card.

gandalf

Member ready to help
vulture said:
OK... first off, I'd like to say that I have ALREADY INSTALLED glide64 and evoodoo to make this work. It still gives me problems with the graphics though. For example, the flashing screen still happens when I'm at shooting star summit, and in some other areas (like the sewer place under toad town). Also, in the Dry Dry Ruins, the graphics are really screwed up, like the ruins key sitting on the floor somewhere just looks like a blue box where they key is supposed to be. Whenever I kill an enemy and coins come out, it displays the sparkle that coins have but I never see the actual coin. I didn't have any problems running this in the Koopa Bros. fortress or in toad town, so is there any way to fix my problem?

My system: Intel P4 2.53 Ghz, Windows 2000, Geforce4 ti4200 128mb, 512mb ram (I don't know what kind but I think it's called DDR something... I'm no computer genius) and a SoundBlaster auidgy sound card.

Ok,if you have many problems with Evodoo and glide,use Jabo´s plug-in (1.5.1),or try with Rice´s Plug-ins.

DDR= Double Data Rate

NeTo

Emu_64 HiP Coder
The problems you have are evodoo related.

Try out Rice's Daedalus 5.1.0 plugin. Run the game with it and go to the plugin settings. Set the "Frame Update" to "first CI change" to run Paper Mario nicely.

OP
V

vulture

NeTo said:
The problems you have are evodoo related.

Try out Rice's Daedalus 5.1.0 plugin. Run the game with it and go to the plugin settings. Set the "Frame Update" to "first CI change" to run Paper Mario nicely.

Thanks for the help, but where would I get the latest version of this Daedalus plugin? I tried searching this forum for it, but I couldn't find any posts that had a link to it.

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
vulture said:
Thanks for the help, but where would I get the latest version of this Daedalus plugin? I tried searching this forum for it, but I couldn't find any posts that had a link to it.

Main page of the forums down at the bottom of the page.

OP
V

vulture

Well I just downloaded Daedalus 5.1.0 and when I ran it... Mario and my partner appeared all in black, almost like a shadow. I tried Jabos and it seemed to work pretty well in the Dry Dry ruins, but I haven't been back to Toad town yet, and that is where I remember it flickering before since its the default for this emulator (what I was running it with before i tried the glide64 thing).

EDIT: OK, I just got into the forever forest, and I have tried all three of the plugins now, Jabos Direct3D6 1.5.1, (which was the default for the emulator), Rice's Daedalus 5.1.0, and Glide64 .042 with the most recent version of eVoodoo (I think its 3.99, not sure of the number but I know it's the most recent) and NONE of them work. In forever forest, it flickers like crazy with glide64 and the items dont appear. With jabos, it flickers like crazy but everything else works fine. With daedalus, there is no flicker but Mario and his partner appear all black for some reason. I have the latest version of DirectX from microsoft.com downloads site... what is going on here? Is this game just unplayable with my system or what?

Last edited:

NeTo

Emu_64 HiP Coder
To avoid them to appear black with rice's plugin, you may set framebuffer emulation to "complete". But, it may slow down emulation...

OP
V

vulture

Sorry to keep flooding this thread, but it's still giving me problems. I did the thing like you said with rice's plugin, but some of the colors are really screwed up now. Like when I'm in toad town, the curbs of the road start turning all rainbow colored for a second or so, then go back to normal, and keep switching every second or so. The sign at toad houses does the same thing, the toad face appears and disappears the same way. Mario still appears black in anywhere except toad town and koopa town too.

Last edited:

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
as a last resort, i can't think of anything else to tell you everyone already hasn't, try updating your Direct X and Card Drivers, they've covered almost all the fixes.

NeTo

Emu_64 HiP Coder
Uhm the rainbow thing is probably a combiner problem. You may try changing from directx to opengl, and/or changing the combiner type. If none works, you should report Rice about your problem.

the flickering in Paper Mario is actually a known issue, only quite recently Glide64 and Rice's plugins have been able to solve the issue. But since Glide64 is ment for voodoo cards, Rice's is your best bet. It's better to have black characters here and there rather than flickering in the whole game :)

OP
V

vulture

Well I'm using Rice's right now, the only problems it has is showing black characters in certain places and the backgrounds are a little screwed up at times, but it is definitely the best out of all three plugins. Whenever Rice's gets unplayable in some areas, I just make a save state and switch to Jabos and it seems to work pretty well using a combination of the two. Thanks for all the help guys, I registered at this forum just to post this thread and it really helped me.

psychotic

NeTo said:
Uhm the rainbow thing is probably a combiner problem. You may try changing from directx to opengl, and/or changing the combiner type. If none works, you should report Rice about your problem.

the flickering in Paper Mario is actually a known issue, only quite recently Glide64 and Rice's plugins have been able to solve the issue. But since Glide64 is ment for voodoo cards, Rice's is your best bet. It's better to have black characters here and there rather than flickering in the whole game :)
yea

Sargeth

Hrm. Er, I've been having similar problems, and I didn't really want to start a whole new thread for a problem you guys probably get daily.

I'm using Rice's emulator, 5.1.0. Following as much of the advice given here as possible, I switched its render over to OpenGL, and changed the frame buffer emu to complete. This stopped the flickering as well as the shadows, but also created another problem.

I am currently in Toad Town. Whenever I stand still, the graphics are PERFECT. no flashing, shadows, distorted colors, nothing. But when I move mario, the background becomes the foreground, blocking all of toad town out. Then when I stop moving for a few seconds, it all goes back to perfection.
Any suggestions?

NeTo

Emu_64 HiP Coder
You may try one of the following:

1. check that frame skip is disabled. This game game won't work well with frame skip enabled

2. check that "Frame Update" is set to "first CI change" and not to "CI change".

Sargeth

Arg. Alright, new problem.

Before I got your advice, I installed a new video driver off the Nvidia website. After that, I started up PJ64, and it said that it could not load the rice's dll plugin. I've tried redownloading/extracting the file lots of times, but it still cant load it. Any advice?

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Now remember that it is a known issue that rice's plugin does not work very well with newer cards such as the gf4 ti. However, there's also a solution. Grab 3danalyze... (dammit, cannot find the link to where it was first posted) and forcing t&l or someting emulation will fix most problems.
I'm sure someone can post a link to where this wes posted; I couldn't find it.