What's new

Problems with 1964 and OOT

rocksndirt3

Hi,
OOT seems to crash at semi-random instances for me on 1964. It only happens (so far that is) during either a NPC's speech, or when you enter another area. I usually play in full-screen, and when it freezes up, I can't access Task Manager, and ALT-F4 won't work to close the programme, so I have to manually restart the computer.
I haven't had this problem with any other games (again, so far)... very strange...
Also, as mentioned by many other people on this forum, the time it takes to reach the start menu in OOT on 1964 (not in any other EMU I have tried it with...) is unbearable. It seems to want to revert back to the last pre-rendered place you were in before even opening it, and if you are in a pre-rendered place, it removes all NPCs and the HUD before opening it. It still takes about 10 seconds when this happens. Plus, the preview screen in the start menu that shows what is equipped is completely corrupted, but it seems to be trying to render some image, as when you switch shields, for instance, some pixels change colour somewhat.

Here are my specs:
Windows XP Professional SP3
1964 0.9.9
PLUGINS:
VIDEO: Rice's Video Plugin 6.1.1 beta 10
GENERAL OPTIONS:
Render Engine: DirectX
Window Mode Resolution: 640X480
Full Screen Resolution: 1440X900
Full Screen Colour Quality: 32-bit (def)
Full Screen Refresh Rate (Hz): Default Hz
Enable Fog, Enable SSE
DIRECTX:
Combiner Type: To Fit Your Video Card
Swap Effect: Flip (def)
Depth Buffer Type: 32-bit signed
OnScreen Display: Display Nothing
OnScreen Text Colour: FFFFFFFF
Force Software Transforming and Lighting, Using Software Vertex Clipper
Full Screen Anti-Alising 3X
Anistropic Filtering 4X
TEXTURE FILTERS
Texture Quality: Default
Force Texture Filter: N64 Default Texture Filter
Texture Enhancement: N64 original texture (No enhancement)
Enhancement Control: Normal
Load hi-res textures if available (I'm using Djipi's Celda mod)

I'll include the other plugins I'm using, but I won't include the settings used on each of these, unless requested.
AUDIO: Azimer's HLE Audio v0.56 WIP 2
INPUT: N-Rage's Direct-Imput8 V2 1.83
RSP: NONE

I'll include my Hardware specs just in case:

CPU: Intel T2600 @ 2.16GHz (2 CPU's)
RAM: 2gb
DIRECTX VERSION: 9.0c (4.09.000.0904)
GPU: ATI Radeon X1600 256.0 MB
HDD: WD Scorpio Blue 320 GB (I'm using a laptop...)

If you can help, It'd be great.
Cheers.

Risonhighmer

I had the same problems, minus the crashing. To fix the pausing issue, switch to project64, and for the corrupt equipment preview, use the "Glid64 Napalm" plugin. The only problem with this is project64 has problems loading hi-res textures, it forgets to load some of them, but that is assuming you are using them, if not, this should do you good.

OP
R

rocksndirt3

well...

I would totally switch (back) to PJ64, but I switched to 1964 because of the faster/more accurate emulation... It truly is faster than PJ64.

I do still use PJ64k for netplay because no one uses 1964 on the servers I go to, but that is the ONLY reason I use it.

I do use Hi-res textures a lot, and that is the main reason I've been going to this forum. I use a combination of Xenobond's realistic textures and Djipi's "Celda" mod, and PJ64 slows down significantly when using them, and the overall speed without any texture mods is still slower than 1964 WITH hi-res textures...

It's a sad thing,
I thought 1964 was the perfect emulator....
Guess not...

Really though, there's no way to fix these and still run textures?
Glide64 is OK, but nothing I would want to use...

Please, help a brava out here...

Risonhighmer

Project64 can still use Hi-res textures, and it runs Zelda the same, if not, faster (For me at least. I switched to 1964 for the same reasons you did, but for some reason, PJ64 just runs zelda better on my rig)

The only problem I had was that some of the textures were missing, I am not entirely sure if it was from the pack or not, but sometimes different textures worked than what did before. This only happened when I used the texture cache with the glide plugin though. Also, when I use the glide plugin in 1964 the sound skips around, and it does not in PJ64.

In my opinion, just use PJ64 for Zelda, it solves the problems without too much hassle.