What's new

Problems w/ Rumble for Dualshock 3 using MotioninJoy

an74

Hi everyone.

Just had a quick question, which doesn't seem to have been asked in the forums yet, my search skills notwithstanding.

So I'm trying to use a Dualshock 3 (PS3) controller, connected to my PC via USB, in p64 v1.6. I'm using MotioninJoy, and I can set up my PC to recognize my DS3 controller. In other words, everything works fine within Motioninjoy, all the buttons and vibration are registering.

Unfortunately, while I can get p64 v1.6 to recognize the analog sticks and face/shoulder buttons of the DS3, I cannot seem to get the rumble feature to work.

MotioninJoy:
DS3 Tool Version: 0.4.0003
Driver Version: 04.0002

Project 64 v1.6 info:

On my Controller Pak tab:
The Raw Data box is checked.
Rumble Pak is selected from the dropdown menu.
"MotioninJoy Virtual Game Controller" is selected from the "Force-Feedback Device" dropdown menu.
"Constant Force" is selected, with a Rumble Strength of 80%.

Input (controller) plugin:
N-Rage's Direct-Inpu8 V2 2/2 beta

However, when I press the "Test Rumble" button, I get a message from Windows saying that "Project64.exe has stopped working."

Here're the problem details:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Project64.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 424c7e6e
Fault Module Name: NRage_Input_V2.dll
Fault Module Version: 2.2.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4b978405
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0000f101
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 76b4
Additional Information 2: 3a67093419e37f60f3f6efab11f82ec1
Additional Information 3: 498e
Additional Information 4: 2d826c21fb7096dd46a827b2d60ad290

I know this is a lot for a post, but I'd be very grateful for any help in getting rumble to work with my DS3 in Project64.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
Install the latest Visual C 2008 SP1 redistributable for x86

as a foreword, future versions of nrage will be built with VC2010, so you might want to grab the redistributable for that too.

OP
A

an74

Hi Squall, thanks for the advice.
So the latest version I could find seems to have been published in September 2008, and I downloaded and run the executable. Link.

I was given the choice to repair or uninstall, and I chose to repair C++ Redistributable. I then restarted my computer, but I still get the same problem when I try to Test Rumble in project64.

Should I try VC2010?

P

Pokemaniacs

The test rumble from the plugin never work for me but it will work when I use my gamepad with N64 games that are Rumble enabled.
Go ahead and test your rumbling on actual N64 games.

OP
A

an74

Pokemaniacs, do you know the earliest moment in Ocarina or Mario64 that I can expect a rumble? I've just re-played these, but it's been so long I've forgotten even the beginnings of the games. Thanks!

P

Pokemaniacs

If you have Super Smash Bros., start the game and fight and a hit will generate rumbling etc. Normally, the game will tell u or prompt u to switch to Rumble if it supports it.

Zelda: Ocarina of Time:

1. Rumble Pak Does Not Rumble.
The Rumble Pak won't work until you get 20 Gold Skulltula tokens and return to House of Skulltula to be given the Stone of Agony. The rumbling of the Rumble Pak will then help you find hidden areas in Zelda. For more Zelda information, check out zelda.com

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

he said the test function crashes the emulator pokemaniacs, its not game related.

an74, in further study, it seems that motionjoy might be registering the wrong rumble driver, or the rumble driver requires a version of VC runtime that is not installed.

since the plugin is working, then its not nrage missing the runtime.

it is possible the motion joy rumble dll uses VS2005, i cannot verify either way.

OP
A

an74

Looks like Squall is right, I managed to get a hold of Super Smash Bros, but no rumbley goodness when I get hit, unfortunately.

Squall, thanks again for your help.

Hmm, I'm have no programming knowledge whatsoever, but it's a little confusing to me that the rumble feature works in Motioninjoy's "DS3 tool" software, but doesn't in project64. Oh well.

At any rate, is there a way to get a dualshock 3 controller, and its rumble feature, to work in project64? I'm not really tied to MotioninJoy, it just seemed the best solution at the time, so I'm definitely open to other options.

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

Theres a actually an explanation for that.

The test function in the motionjoy settings panel bypasses the Rumble DLL registered to directinput and runs directly off the driver. XBCD does this as well.

Games that use directinput however will fail as long as the rumble DLL cannot be started due to missing runtime dependancies.

can you please start dxdiag from the search box or winkey+r and screenshot the input tab, then launch the x64 version of dxdiag (there is a button in the x32 version for this) and do the same with the tab on that one as well.

OP
A

an74

I can't find the button to launch the x64 version of dxdiag, is it in the main dxdiag window?

Silly question, I have a .jpg of the screenshot of the x32 version on my desktop, but how do I insert that into a post?

Update:
dxdiaginput.jpg

did that do it?

http://img99.imageshack.us/i/dxdiaginput.jpg/

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

dependency walking doesn't appear to show any use of msvc8, but it might dynamically load them.

check if you have VC2005 redist installed, as well as VC6

OP
A

an74

Sorry for all the questions, I barely understand what's going on right now =) But thanks again for the help:

1) How should I check to see if I have VC2005 or VC6 installed? In Control Panel, or through an Uninstaller?

2) Does it matter if run the .exe from here, or should I run the SP1 .exe instead?

3) For VC6 (which I'm assuming stands for Visual C 6.0?), I can't seem to find a microsoft page to download it from. Is there another trustworthy site that I should use?

Thanks again, Squall, much appreciated!

squall_leonhart

then all i can think of, is the stupid motionjoy driver has put the x64 version of the rumble dll into the 32bit system directory.

OP
A

an74

Sigh, sorry that was the outcome, and thanks again for the help.
I know you've already helped a lot, but any advice as to other ways of getting a dualshock 3 controller to work with rumble in project64?

squall_leonhart

Contact the motionjoy site and get some help with their driver from there. theres no reason it shouldn't work when using the correct rumble dll.