What's new

problems selfbooting with fastboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

holymoz

hi, I tried everything, I read all the threads about it but fastboot doesn't work

I want to selfboot dead or alive 2 LE with echelon intro, steps I made:

extract all the data from cd

paste them in the data folder of fastboot

deleted the 1stread.bin and inserted the new 1stread downloaded on this forum

deleted the dummy too

move the 1stread to fastboot folder and add to it an ip.bin

run binhack, type in order:

1st_read.bin

ip.bin

then I press enter and the window closing without make anithing to the files, I tried also to invert the order of typing but nothing happens, you may say the files are corrupted or I mistaken something but if I make an iso with the files (with the new 1stread) and boot it with utopia disc the game start fine.

I don't understand why the window closing after pressed enter after type 0,0.

I downloaded different archives of fastboot but no good results, I tryed selfboot toolkit too but the disc created is unsuitable, I tryed also a lot of programs , gui, and frontend for selfboot but I never be able to make this game selfboot, the only that seems to work sometimes is exoskeletors gui but with doa2 doesn't work for both cd creating and image creating

any ideas?? thanks!!

sorry for my english but I just finished to lunch and I'm a bit sleepy :yawn: :blush:

OP
holymoz

holymoz

no, the steps are right, copied the files in data directory, cut the 1stread and paste in fastboot dir (the ip doesn't exist in doa2, I using another), besides the 1stread is not the original of the game because has the echelon intro, I used one modified taken on this forum, all the steps are right, the proof is that the game runs good with utopia cd but with the same files I can't get the selfboot game, the binhack window closing right after I press enter after typed 0,0, seems the binhack can't hack the 1stread or ip.bin, I don't know what to do, it's not a really problem (I can use utopia cd) but it's frustrating that all people can make selfboot and me not, why? there are only this two damned files to hack, why the window closing?

WhiteX

probably is the fact that you are using both files from outside the cd...thx to the echelon intro, you may try another game or version of DOA 2 to make sure you can selfboot like any one of us!

morpheusx

holymoz said:
hi, I tried everything, I read all the threads about it but fastboot doesn't work

I want to selfboot dead or alive 2 LE with echelon intro, steps I made:

extract all the data from cd

paste them in the data folder of fastboot

deleted the 1stread.bin and inserted the new 1stread downloaded on this forum

deleted the dummy too

move the 1stread to fastboot folder and add to it an ip.bin

run binhack, type in order:

1st_read.bin

ip.bin

then I press enter and the window closing without make anithing to the files, I tried also to invert the order of typing but nothing happens, you may say the files are corrupted or I mistaken something but if I make an iso with the files (with the new 1stread) and boot it with utopia disc the game start fine.

I don't understand why the window closing after pressed enter after type 0,0.

I downloaded different archives of fastboot but no good results, I tryed selfboot toolkit too but the disc created is unsuitable, I tryed also a lot of programs , gui, and frontend for selfboot but I never be able to make this game selfboot, the only that seems to work sometimes is exoskeletors gui but with doa2 doesn't work for both cd creating and image creating

any ideas?? thanks!!

sorry for my english but I just finished to lunch and I'm a bit sleepy :yawn: :blush:

I think your missing a step or two,try this method.

mount image
copy image to data dir ( fastboot makes a data dir when you unzip it )
copy 1st_read.bin and ip.bin to the fastboot dir
run the binhack.exe
type:
IP.BIN
1ST_READ.BIN
copy the new ip.bin and 1st_read.bin the data dir ( yes overwrite )
run b2b_game

wait
mount image.cdi and see if it worked,i think the reason why binhack closes is b/c you don't have both the 1st_read.bin and the ip.bin in the selfboot directory.

of note , if you have a bootable game ( cant allways tell with games that dont work in chanka yet ) , doing this will make a bad image so allways keep your orginal image around , unless of course you dumped it yourself and know it's non bootable ... also of note , you can find copies of ip.bin around as some games just dont have it.

Last edited:
OP
holymoz

holymoz

you give me a doubt, I tried only dead or alive 2 to selfboot, I must try another game to see if it's fastboot fault or the two files fault because they aren't in the original cd, but the strange is that with this two external file the game runs perfect with utopia cd, it's possible that the binhack got problems with it? more people had doa2 selfbooting with fastboot and the modified 1stread, it's a simple 1stread.bin, nothing strange, tonight I'll try again

morpheusx

holymoz said:
you give me a doubt, I tried only dead or alive 2 to selfboot, I must try another game to see if it's fastboot fault or the two files fault because they aren't in the original cd, but the strange is that with this two external file the game runs perfect with utopia cd, it's possible that the binhack got problems with it? more people had doa2 selfbooting with fastboot and the modified 1stread, it's a simple 1stread.bin, nothing strange, tonight I'll try again

your doing better than me,i tried to get a self boot game to work,has'nt worked for me,still waiting for a full prove method myself,just though i'd lend you a hand.

OP
holymoz

holymoz

for morpheusx, my steps not go out of hacking 1sterad and ip because the binhack makes nothing to them, simply it close the windows, the two files are in the fastboot directory.

the 1stread isn't the original because it has the echelon intro, but the substitute worked with other people that make it selfbootable (and on me too with utopia cd). The ip is not in the cd and I used another from other game, they should be all the same or not? is this the error I make? it exist an "ip.bin generator" starting from the right 1stread?

the order is 1stread and ip or ip and 1stread? in threads I read first 1stread and then ip, I tried both sequences but nothing work.

tonight I'll do another try on it, thanks for the answers!

morpheusx

holymoz said:
for morpheusx, my steps not go out of hacking 1sterad and ip because the binhack makes nothing to them, simply it close the windows, the two files are in the fastboot directory.

the 1stread isn't the original because it has the echelon intro, but the substitute worked with other people that make it selfbootable (and on me too with utopia cd). The ip is not in the cd and I used another from other game, they should be all the same or not? is this the error I make? it exist an "ip.bin generator" starting from the right 1stread?

the order is 1stread and ip or ip and 1stread? in threads I read first 1stread and then ip, I tried both sequences but nothing work.

tonight I'll do another try on it, thanks for the answers!

your guess is as good as mine,i have 160+ Dc games that i took out of my closet and dusted them off after i started using the chankast,i still have my dreamcast and it works fine,just got into ps2 so much,forgot about the ol girl but now she's alive n kick'n again :p

SilentBob

Hi,
i think the easiest way to make a selfbootable game is to use bin2boot + gui.
If you already have a cue/bin image, simply start the gui and drag and drop the bin into it. After that you will get a nice bootable cdi image.

If your're non bootable image is not a cue/bin, load it into a virtual cd-rom and create a cue/bin image with cdrwin (i use the old 3.9e version).

rcgamer

the old guy
the reason the window is closing is because you are just clicking the binhack.exe icon. you should go through the command prompt. start-all programs -accessories -command prompt.

OP
holymoz

holymoz

thanks very much to all, for silent bob, this method is really interesting, where I can find this gui with bin2boot? thanks!!

OP
holymoz

holymoz

hey it works!!! thank you very much, a very simple system to selfboot, one question, if I open the imagefile created with bin2boot with cdrwin it detects two mode2 tracks, the other games have one audio track and one mode2 track, infact if I try to open doubleclicking on the virtual cd starts windows media player (the first track is audio) but the bin2boot imagefile opens normally as a folder, is that a problem or so what? thanks!

morpheusx

Nightmare said:
edit your post silentbob, as i know links with crack sites are not allowed here...

bin2boot is not a crack,it's a Dreamcast utility,i doubt that moderator would mind somone giving a link that leads to a Dc util,relax and let the moderators decide weither a link is allowed or is'nt,nightmare,i don't see a moderator icon by your name.

sheesh,people getting bossy in these post :rolleyes:

mezkal

Man on a mission
Morph bin2boot is a third party utility made to do nefarious things to DC's ISOs (which are entirely illegal) to make them bootable in a retail DreamCast.

Stop being a dick. The stickies here and countless other threads on this forum state that Piracy is not condoned on this forum. Don't be a smartass bro. Don't attack those who care enough to let others know either.

Just because you're happy to call it a "utility" others here prefer to stick with the facts and the fact is that it does pertain to piracy. The real comment Nightmare made was that silentbob had to remove the link to the site that offers said "utilities".

We don't link to piracy sites here. No I'm not a MOD but I KNOW the rules and I do my best to stick by them.

If you don't then I guess the real mods here will deal with you accordingly.

Cheers,

mezkal

morpheusx

mezkal said:
Morph bin2boot is a third party utility made to do nefarious things to DC's ISOs (which are entirely illegal) to make them bootable in a retail DreamCast.

Stop being a dick. The stickies here and countless other threads on this forum state that Piracy is not condoned on this forum. Don't be a smartass bro. Don't attack those who care enough to let others know either.

Just because you're happy to call it a "utility" others here prefer to stick with the facts and the fact is that it does pertain to piracy. The real comment Nightmare made was that silentbob had to remove the link to the site that offers said "utilities".

We don't link to piracy sites here. No I'm not a MOD but I KNOW the rules and I do my best to stick by them.

Cheers,

mezkal

mezkal,your post will be forwarded to the moderator for your series of cussing and swearing on this forum.
there are underage children that read these post and for that,you will be warned by a moderator or banned if a moderator feels fit.

Trotterwatch

morpheusx said:
bin2boot is not a crack,it's a Dreamcast utility,i doubt that moderator would mind somone giving a link that leads to a Dc util,relax and let the moderators decide weither a link is allowed or is'nt,nightmare,i don't see a moderator icon by your name.

sheesh,people getting bossy in these post :rolleyes:
Hate to say but Nightmare was spot on :) I don't have a prob with the utility as such, more the site it's linked on (on grounds of the illegal content alone).

The minimum age to register on this forum is 13, and IMO if a 13yr kid gets offended by the usage of the word 'dick' then perhaps they need to get out the house a bit more ;)

Now try to get along everyone :p

morpheusx

mezkal said:

Cheers,

mezkal

and by the way,take a look at this section "Sticky: All Chankast tools!!!"

you will be surprised to see that a good number of "SELFBOOT UTILITIES" like the one that silentbob posted in that thread.

need i say more?,i think not,subject closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.