What's new

Problems ripping a PSX ISO.

sb iq

I am trying to create an ISO image of the Playstation game Tomb Raider II using ISOBuster. Before you all scream "omg! software piracy!" I actually do own a Playstation and legally own a copy of Tomb Raider II for the PSX. I am copying this to my HD for a game hacking project.

I tried ripping an ISO of the game using the Extract Image and RAW options.

The ISO was copied onto my HD and I tried using the epsxe emulator to run it. It works all the way until the title screen, then when the first level is supposed to load it freezes.

Did I select the wrong options? Are there certain settings for ripping PSX ISOs?

Are there any programs out there that will let me add or replace files to a burned CD on CD-RW? I remembered long ago Direct CD had that option, but now Direct CD is Easy CD & DVD Creator and no longer has that feature. >_<

EDIT: Gah, I just found out right now. The game also contains CD audio tracks that the game uses. For some reason, ISOBurner did not include the CD audio tracks in the ISO. How do I solve this problem? Is there a .ISO program that does support audio tracks?

Last edited:

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
Try using Clone CD...
I created all my ISOS of my PSX Games with CCD...
And at the beginning with IsoBuster, so I wonder what are you using, IsoBuster or IsoBurner???

OP
S

sb iq

Thanks a lot! I finally got it to work...but....

I need to add and replace files to the ISO since this is a game project. Someone told me WinISO can add and replace files to an ISO, but WinISO does not support the .ccd (CloneCD) format.

What program should I use to add and replace files to the ISO? My project has come to a screeching halt due to this problem.

OP
S

sb iq

I succesfully ripped the ISO with CloneCD. My problem now is finding a program that allows me to add and replace files to the ISO.

Recently I tried UltraISO but I still ran into problems. I save the unmodified .ccd ISO file as a seperate .ccd just to test it and the .ccd that was saved using UltraISO will not run at all.

WhiteX

That is exactly what i was talking about on my request, see...

I am trying to create an ISO image of the Playstation game Tomb Raider II using ISOBuster. Before you all scream "omg! software piracy!" I actually do own a Playstation and legally own a copy of Tomb Raider II for the PSX. I am copying this to my HD for a game hacking project.

We have no way of knowing that for sure and even though is it true, some countries do not allow backup copies of console games, however we promptly gave away methods to create a pirate copy of a copyrighted software.

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail

It is legal in many countries. Do you have a personal reason for it not to be asked? I feel that people have the right to know such technical knowledge as long as they're not using it for pirate-happy "romz 4 fr33!"

Toasty

Sony battery
In my personal experience, PSX games are also a lot smoother to play when they've been ripped to the hard drive. Even in the U.S. and under the evil DMCA, backups are still legal as long as no copy-protection is circumvented.

WhiteX

No, i do not have a personal reason, i just fear for the community since sb iq may be well intended, our forum is free for viewing and guests viewing this thread and many other similar ones will learn how to rip isos, and besides in our rules, the red ones, it states:
DO NOT!

Ask how to rip ISOs.

And it do not stated if the knowledge to rip and iso is to be used on one purpose or the other, only that it is not to be asked, however we got so used to help ppl on ISOs business, ripped or dloaded, that we are slowly opening the community beyond the rules and this is my fear, that we ,in time,
get to help on other prohibited matters and manage to get this community shut down.

OP
S

sb iq

Okay, so I put the CD in my drive and extract a single folder called "DATA" and put it on my HD. This foldered is unmodified, it is exactly the same as it is on the CD.

So I use UltraISO to make an ISO from the CD and save it in Alchohol 120% format (.mdf/mds). I load the .mds in Daemon Tools virtual drive and load the game in epsxe using File -> Run CDROM and set epsxe to read from the virtual drive. The game works.

Now here is where things mess up: I use UltraISO to overwrite the folder "DATA" in the ISO with the same folder "DATA" that I had saved to my hard drive previously. Remember, the "DATA" folder I had saved to my hard drive previously had no changes.

I load this new ISO with the overwritten "DATA" folder into Daemon Tools and load it in epsxe the same way I did before. The game no longer plays at all.

What gives? I virtually did not even change anything.

Could it be my computer is too old? Here are my specs:

CPU::
Intel Pentium III 548 Mhz
Cooling::
ACPI Fan
Motherboard::
Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to ISA bridge (ISA
Memory::
128 MB RAM
Video Card::
3dfx Voodoo3 3500
Monitor::