What's new

Problems after changing graphics card

ZDragon

Hiya,
some weeks ago I got a new graphics card - it is a brand new Radeon 9800pro, which should speed up my PC (P4 1,8 GHz, 512 MB Rambus-RAM) a lot. Before, I only had a Radeon 7500.

Anyway - on my OLD card, emulation was completely fine, I didn't even have small glitches in sound. But now, everything is somewhat screwed up.

I was using PJ64 before and now tried 1964 as well, with different plugins in DirectX and OpenGL. But even with MINIMUM details, NOTHING is running smooth. Not even Super Mario! The speed is even a little better with NEMU v0.7 (tested Goldeneye for example) - hell, how can this be? I thought all the plugins were using DirectX - but it more seems like a poor software emulation (also from what I get to see - lots of graphic errors). Am I doing something wrong? Or how could I solve the problem?

jollyrancher

On a fast computer like yours you wouldn't expect to see much of a speed difference with a new graphics card since N64 emulation is primarily CPU-dependent, but obviously it shouldn't slow down. I assume you've already tried different drivers and messed with the advanced graphics settings like antialiasing, so I'd guess that it could be an IRQ probem where devices got put in the wrong slots when you installed the card. Try reinstalling the card and see if that helps.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Try completely removing your graphics driver and installing first DirectX 9.0b (or reinstalling if you already have it), and then installing Catalyst 3.10.

OP
ZDragon

ZDragon

Tagrineth said:
Try completely removing your graphics driver and installing first DirectX 9.0b (or reinstalling if you already have it), and then installing Catalyst 3.10.

I did that - it still won't work. Other Games work completely fine on my PC by the way...

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Change graphics plugins... try the new Rice's 5.2.0 beta for Radeon users... apparently the newest official release has severe issues, just like every other fucking video plugin >_>

OP
ZDragon

ZDragon

Yea this one works ^_^ YAHHOOOOO! Thanks for your help!!

Is coding a plugin difficult by the way, meaning: do you have to analyze all the console codes etc.? I suppose so, but anyway, is there any FAQ on how to do such a plugi? I am a (hobby-) coder myself so maybe I could edit some of the plugins - some source codes are avaiable I mean...

mesman00

What's that...?
i dunno if this will help in you case, but i always recommend a fresh reformat after installing new hardware.

*edit* nevermind i guess, your post got submitted one minute before mine.

mesman00

What's that...?
ZDragon said:
Yea this one works ^_^ YAHHOOOOO! Thanks for your help!!

Is coding a plugin difficult by the way, meaning: do you have to analyze all the console codes etc.? I suppose so, but anyway, is there any FAQ on how to do such a plugi? I am a (hobby-) coder myself so maybe I could edit some of the plugins - some source codes are avaiable I mean...

do you have time? are you experienced or is the last program you wrote "Hello World." If you do have a clue (i'm not trying to sound like an ass) then find all the info you can on the n64's graphic hardware and read it. look at some open source plugins to get an idea of whats going on. you'll probably also want to read up on the n64's core to see how it interprets instructions from the ppu (or gpu?). work from there.

OP
ZDragon

ZDragon

Well, I believe I have quite some time (I'm just 15 yet), but two projects are too much I believe - currently I'm working on this: www.chimera-crystals.de (if this is considered advertisment, plz remove the link). Anyway, it would be interesting to know something about the architecture of the N64 GPU - is there any site (but Google, I mean) which is best to start informing myself?