What's new

Problem with Windows icons

Allnatural

I can't seem to set default icons for many files/folders/drives/etc. on my computer. I believe the problem stems from recent use of IconPackager. I messed something up, and I've tried using the program to restore defaults, but nothing seems to work. For example, my floppy drive icon is missing. I've used IconPackager to manually set the default icon from the shell32.dll, but it still won't display.

Is there any way to restore all Windows icons to their defaults?

OP
Allnatural

Allnatural

Re: Re: Problem with Windows icons

Lex said:
control panel>display properties
and then under the effects tab
Nah, I know about that already, and those aren't the icons I'm having problems with. Floppy, hard drives, most system folders, and many files (doc, txt, ini, etc.) are all missing.

Styro

Foam
Hi, hope you don't minbd taking advice from a newbie ;)

Simply go to your c:/windows and delete the file ShellIconCache (must have show all files turned on). Windows will recreate this file when you reboot, and all your icons should be back to normal .... simple as that :)

OP
Allnatural

Allnatural

Styro said:
Hi, hope you don't minbd taking advice from a newbie ;)

Simply go to your c:/windows and delete the file ShellIconCache (must have show all files turned on). Windows will recreate this file when you reboot, and all your icons should be back to normal .... simple as that :)
n00bs are welcome.:) However, I had already tried that. Sorry I didn't mention it.

TweakUI woudn't work either Slougi.

I did eventually find the problem after mucking around in the registry though. I had some corrupted entries; Windows was looking in the wrong place for many of its icons. Everything is back to normal now.

So, while nothing was really useful ;), I appreciate the suggestions. :satisfied

OT: Styro, is that avatar from Mappy?

Styro

Foam
Yup, sure is. Made it myself using screenshots from MAME :)

Slougi; funny you should call yourself an old fart, that's what I call myself at another forum (not sure I'm allowed to tell you which, since rom links aren't allowed .... yup, I'm a fast learner once I get some coffee ;) )

.... and since allnatural already solved his problem lemme just add to the OT discussion by saying that off-topic is usually my fave topic :D