What's new

Problem with pokemon trading and BGB

smcd

Welcome to EmuTalk, & thanks for posting in an appropriate spot :)

What version of BGB are you using? Are you trading between two different games? What game(s)? What is your OS? Are you trading locally or across a LAN or the internet?

OP
L

LaughyTaffy

I'm using 1.12. Yes I'm trading between different games, I open BGB once and again and load the games separately. The games are the original red and yellow versions. My OS is Windows. I'm trading locally.

smcd

I'm not too familiar with it myself but these pieces of information should be helpful to track down the problem. Are the games of the same language/region? Do the trades work fine other than the information on them being scrambled?

OP
L

LaughyTaffy

They're both in English and I got both of them from the same site (I own the original cartridges BTW but I don't have my gameboy anymore). Trading works fine, I actually managed to make one successful trade without it messing up.

I should probably mention that I used the Mew glitch (it allows you to get Mew without a gameshark) maybe that could have some effect?

smcd

That very well might be a cause of the symptoms - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon_Red_and_Blue

and
http://pages.prodigy.net/maryjorhodes/codespok.htm
The funniest part of catching Missingno is trading it into the YELLOW VERSION! I HAVE TRIED IT! First of all, the Yellow version is a glitch-free game, so I thought it would be interesting to trade a glitch into a glitch-free game. Know what happens? Missingno's name turns into a bunch of gibberish!

It might not be the actual cause, but seems like a possible candidate, and the gameshark codes have been known to corrupt your pokedex and other things (but you didn't use one so doesn't really apply here).

Here's a youtube video showing a glitched up pokemon in red. Is this similar to your problem?

Last edited:

smcd

Hmm not sure. I don't have extensive pokemon experience but with all this information collected maybe someone else can chip in :)