What's new

Problem. Can't run PJ64 with any D3D video plugin

Gonetz

Plugin Developer (GlideN64)
When I'm trying to choose PJ video plugin, emulator says "Direct3D failed to initialize your HAL device". When I select Rice's plugin, it selected, but when I start a game plugin says that it can't initialize D3D. OpenGL plugins initialized, but does not work. Glide64 can't work with eVoodoo. At the same time I have no problems running these plugins with 1964 . Any ideas, what is happen and how to fix it? I have tried to uninstall PJ64 completely and install to another folder - no help.

OS Win2K
Video - ATI Radeon 9600
Secondary video - Voodoo2

revl8er

That Damn Good
Hmm, this seems to be happening with a lot of people lately. Did you try to redownload pj64 and then reinstall it? That's about all the help I can give you. If I can think of anything else, I'll be sure to post it though.

Modem

ph33r teh hammy!
1: Set desktop to 16-bit

2: delete PJ64 regestry entries (HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/JaboSoft)

3: reload pj64, set any resolution you want (in the emulator), as long as it's 16-bit

4: enjoy.

:)

4real

Gonetz said:
When I'm trying to choose PJ video plugin, emulator says "Direct3D failed to initialize your HAL device". When I select Rice's plugin, it selected, but when I start a game plugin says that it can't initialize D3D. OpenGL plugins initialized, but does not work. Glide64 can't work with eVoodoo. At the same time I have no problems running these plugins with 1964 . Any ideas, what is happen and how to fix it? I have tried to uninstall PJ64 completely and install to another folder - no help.

OS Win2K
Video - ATI Radeon 9600
Secondary video - Voodoo2

I had the same problem.

I changed my screen settings to 800 by 600 pix in the GFX plugin then it worked for me.

Also made sure my desktop settings where 16 bit.

Also i had to go back with me graphcs drivers as this was a problem.

Hiope this helps

OP
Gonetz

Gonetz

I see no reasonable advice yet :(

As I said, all plugins work fine with 1964, so it's not a problem with plugins or desktop settings. It seems that Project64 is not compatible with my video (or my OS). PJ64 works without problems on my home PC with Voodoo5 and Win98SE. I tried to uninstall the emu, I have deleted everything related to PJ64 from regestry - it does not work. The only plugin I can run with PJ64 now is Glide64. May be somebody with a Radeon card and Win2K can suggest me driver version which surely works with PJ64?

OP
Gonetz

Gonetz

Of course I have tried to reinstall DirectX and remove all PJ64 settings and reinstall video drivers and all other obvious things. This all does not work - that's why I asked this question!

4real

Gonetz said:
Of course I have tried to reinstall DirectX and remove all PJ64 settings and reinstall video drivers and all other obvious things. This all does not work - that's why I asked this question!

Have you checked the reg to make sure the PJ64 dll is not there after you unistall.

I use a reg cleaning program just to make sure the program is 100% out off the reg as sometimes its not.

My graphics card runs ok with 1964 as well but i do have to change the settings in PJ64 as i said above or i get the same message.

GFX Plugin settings change to 800 by 600 pix this is nothing to do with ya computer settings.

If none work just use 1964 instead of PJ64.

Kaoss626

shakes head....thats the last time I answer a post 5 minutes after I roll out of bed and haven't had any coffee.....I'm thinking the writer of a plugin would have tried all the simple stuff like directX and stuff

reallyjoel

I think this should be considered a real issue from now on. Almost everyone with Radeon cards have problems with PJ64. Almost everyone with Radeons have problems with Blender too, and i can imagine, a large number of apps. It's a driver problem, and changing bitdepth isnt gonna help. This is gonna remain a problem 'till eiter the PJ64 team makes a hack, or until ATI makes one.. (that seems to be their way of fixing problems in the drivers... making a little hack for every app that acts up.. and I don't think Blender or PJ64 is high priority..)

Modem

ph33r teh hammy!
It's not likely to happen. The plugins at least publically, along with PJ64, have been discontinued. The only real hope is that a future driver from ATI will solove the problem on their end. Probably something they messed up accidentally. As for this "blender" thing... no idea what the heck it is, never heard of it.

GrassR00t

I have a Radeon 8500 and have the exact same problem. If I use Rice's graphics plugin it works great but it I use the default plugin I get the "Direct3D failed to initialize your HAL device" error. I guess I will just have to use Rice's plugin till this is figured out.

a_con

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I think this problem is because you have upgraded to version 4 of the ATI Catalyst drivers. There is no way to fix this, you will just have to use another video plugin.

Floflo81

The best Zelda fan
I had the same problem. Before I was using an old Catalyst driver for my ATI Radeon 9200 and it worked very well cith all resolutions. With ATI Catalyst 4.3, it only works when I set the desktop to 16 bit color and the same for the full screen color depth in the graphics plugin settings. In fact, everything works just fine but only with 16 bit color...

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Damn, have you solved this problem yet, Gonetz?
System restore or registry restore for win98 is a great option if you know something worked before but isn't now.