What's new

Prob w/ my dumbass sound card

KingTom

aka "Passion"
like i said in the topic.

the thing sucks. about four months ago,l i reformatted my hard drive. i had problems with it for a week or two, then i thought i got it fixed. then, about two months ago, she cuts out on me. the thing stopped working, and so i tried uninstalling the drivers and then reinstalling them. not good. the computer doesn't even recognize it's there at all. so today, i get fed up with no sound, and try changing the PCI slots(i moved it up one). now its recognized as being there, but not working.
any suggestions?

here's a screenie of what the error message looks like:

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
I don't like to tell you this, but you will be required to reinstall Windows 98 SE, thus
reformat the HDD at least one more time, then *INSTALL THE CHIPSET DRIVERS
BEFORE INSTALLING THE SOUND CARD DRIVERS OR ANY OTHER DRIVERS*.

Which motherboard chipset manufacturer?

Examples:

-Via

-Intel

Also, which motherboard do you have?

Last edited:

Trotterwatch

I wouldn't recommend a reformat just yet (that's a last ditch solution, to something which may not need such drastic action) thus.... Uninstall the sound card driver, then reinstall it using the add/remove menu (let windows find the drivers itself).

That should fix it.

If not, and you can easily reformat (say you have little to back up, so the inconvienience would be small, then by all means try that - but keep it as a last resort, only bad technicians recommend that sort of action straight away).

Last edited:
OP
KingTom

KingTom

aka "Passion"
Trotterwatch, i read your post, but i did answer RJARRRCGP's questions. Just being courteous
i got the sound to work this morning(snow day!)
but when i restart m computer, the same problem starts up again.
then i have to re-fix it :angry:

Last edited:

Trotterwatch

K, Just not been feeling too good - and seeing my post (which made sense) being ignored kinda annoyed me a little. Sorry about that.

Did you remove the drivers like I said though?

The reason being, obviously something happened to stop your machine even seeing the card (you could have installed any OS, any driver etc, wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference).

Changing the slot means whatever it was, bad PCI slot, not inserted correctly, or even dust on the connectors was fixed. As such it detected the card - problem solved?

The thing is Windows 98 is a terrible housekeeper and wouldn't bother to install drivers it thinks are already working fine. Hence remove them, then choose find new hardware straight away.

All being well Windows should find the correct drivers, and install them properly.

A reformat is a great solution, but it's a solution that should only be done if you don't mind doing so, or you have exhausted all other possibilities. Other drastic possibilities, include sfc /scannow and reinstalling over the top of the OS.

OP
KingTom

KingTom

aka "Passion"
right now i am considering trying the baseball bat method :angry:
the damn computer doesn't even know what type of sound card it is now
friggin machine
i tried and tried, now i just hooked up my speakers to my sis's laptop (home from college) and play music on her computer

Last edited: