What's new

Praise

BlackIchor

I read the message about schibo's new upcoming version of 1964....I gotta say, I'm looking forward to that. Also, they are right about the quality of 1964. I've tried a whole bunch of other N64 emulators and 1964 is the only one that has worked for me. I have to say that it's the best of the N64 emulators. While not perfect (and what is?), none of the other emulators can boast the compatibility of 1964, and I'm sure that it will improve vastly by the next version, if what they say is true.

revl8er

That Damn Good
none of the other emulators can boast the compatibility of 1964

I'm also looking foward to the new version of 1964, but I believe that pj64 has better compatability at least until the new version comes out.

OP
B

BlackIchor

That might be true, but I never had any luck getting Project 64 working properly on my system. And 1964 seems to be the most user friendly. I'm sure PJ64 is a good emulator, it just doesn't seem to like my system that much.

Hyper19s

Banned
no dude 1964 is plauged with crashes and when you
close roms with jabos plugins you somtimes get
errors

Trotterwatch

See I don't really get these crashes I hear people having, so I would suspect that most of them are down to incorrect configs than bad emulator programming.

Hyper19s

Banned
Trotterwatch said:
See I don't really get these crashes I hear people having, so I would suspect that most of them are down to incorrect configs than bad emulator programming.
I dont know mabey
i think its azimers sound that
always locks my machine up
(after i closed a rom that is )

Felipe

Brazilian Translator
one thing everybody have to hope:the emu needs to be OPTIMIZED.

Last edited:

revl8er

That Damn Good
no dude 1964 is plauged with crashes and when you
close roms with jabos plugins you somtimes get
errors

well I haven't had a problem with this emulator since I've been using it.

OP
B

BlackIchor

Well, sorry to hear that you all have had problems with it, but I've never once had a crash from 1964. The only problems I've ever had were from the incorrect setups of all the plug-ins, which can be cleared up by downloading a game compatibility FAQ, or simply tinkering with the plug-ins until you find a combination that runs the game smoothly. I think that while some emulators work good with some peoples' computer systems and programs, the same ones might not agree with others' setups.

The only games which I could never really get working in 1964 that I really wanted to play badly were Yoshi's Story (smooth at first, but gradually gets choppy and slow), and Killer Instinct Gold (which either has very screwy sound that appears to run too fast for the game, or doesn't want to respond to controls, no matter which controller plugin I'm using). However, the compatibility FAQ says that those two games are known to not work well in 1964. And they'll probably be fixed or improved with the next revision. But 9 out of every 10 N64 roms I have work great or at least very decently with 1964.

Remote

I'm curious, where can I find schibo's message about the upcoming release. I searched for it but I couldn't find any longer posts made by schibo the latest period off time. Is it on the official page?

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
I have no problem with 1964, and the particular case of crashing is probably just be a bad setup, but just because it's free doesn't mean someone can't complain about it. People who use it/want to use it SHOULD encourage the authors, but if it's garbage (which it most definetely is NOT in this case) then you have perfect right to speak your mind about it.

OP
B

BlackIchor

Well, I definitely appreciate what all of the people who make emulators do...I would encourage all of them to keep up the good work. If it weren't for what they do, a huge piece of video game history would disappear like smoke, forgotten except in magazines. Alot of these games should be still played, people who miss them are missing out on alot!

Modern games are great too (I have a Gamecube and a PS2 with a big library of games for both), but I love being able to play an old Genesis, SNES, Nintendo, arcade game, or N64 game too, without having to comb through crappy old game stores and pay their inflated prices for old hardware (a store near where I live asks for $100 for a Sega Saturn :yucky: ) and hoping you're fortunate enough to happen across an old used game you once loved. And then when you're lucky enough to find the game, it's riddled with scratches or broken!

Just thought I'd give a nice shout-out for the hard working people who make these emulators, and let them know that there are some of us who appreciate what they do, and that we realize that they aren't making a dime off this....I'd rather play a game on an imperfect emulator than not at all...and besides, they'll perfect it, eventually.

karth95

Lord of the Cats
I can make 1964 crash any time I want to... Use tr64 v.84 or below, and you can't start and stop a game, it just locks. That's the plugin, not the emu though... In all honesty, the only time I have had trouble with 1964 is when I try to play around with the audio. For what it's worth, I love 1964, and think that it's actually (with rice's 5.10) about as compatible as pj64. There are little areas where the core is better in one or another, and you see different things working right, but for the most part, I'll use 1964. The speed and ease of use are better than any n64 emu I've used.

Remote

Clements said:
Thanks, when looking at the thread name I should have figured that's the logical place to look... Looks like we are in for a threat and that they are giving it more time to make the release final says a lot of the 1964 team. I'm pretty sure the next release will be real good, wonder what the user interface changes will be? Skins would be so nice...

Remote

You do realise that you just did what you were ranting on about a couple of inches above... ;)

Grant64

DC Emu Fanatic
Skins!

Remote - What A great Idea. There was always a great GB emu that had the GBC as its GUI - If 1964 had its own skins that would be real good

OP
B

BlackIchor

Haha, well, I didn't really regard what Hypershadow said as an "attack" really....just that he didn't agree with my opinion on 1964, which is fine. You can't expect everyone to like something. While I disagree with him about 1964 being so buggy, every emulator has some bugs to some extent, and it may be that 1964 might not agree with his particular system and/or configuration. Another N64 emulator might be better for him to use with his setup, I don't know.

My praise for 1964 was because out of the dozen N64 emulators I have tried, not ONE of them worked for me, except this one...and it was also praise aimed at all people involved in emulation in general, because it's a hard job, there are no rewards (monetary), and often, the creators of emulators have to deal with people who demand this and that, and pester the hell out of them (check the MAME boards for classic examples of this). Not that I'm labeling emulation fans jerks, mind you, but they do have to deal with some jerks sometimes, and it requires the patience of a saint, I'm sure.

I grade an emulator on several things: how good it is overall, how user-friendly it is, how compatible it is with various roms, and also, how helpful the makers (who are often moderators on boards) are with technical issues. Keeping that in mind, the best emulators I've run across (that have fulfilled all those criteria) are 1964, FCE Ultra, Magic Engine (VERY helpful people), Gens, Meka, and MAME....in my opinion.

firestarter

Mahoukenshi Master!
BlackIchor said:
Modern games are great too (I have a Gamecube and a PS2 with a big library of games for both), but I love being able to play an old Genesis, SNES, Nintendo, arcade game, or N64 game too, without having to comb through crappy old game stores and pay their inflated prices for old hardware (a store near where I live asks for $100 for a Sega Saturn :yucky: ) and hoping you're fortunate enough to happen across an old used game you once loved. And then when you're lucky enough to find the game, it's riddled with scratches or broken!

In that case, use eBay. You'll get it cheaper (you could get a custom import model Sega Saturn (like the V models or the skeleton models) for $50 probably), and 95% of the time, you get a good deal out of it, and most of the games are in good shape. Sorry for going off-topic and off-shooting the point, but just making a valid point here.