What's new

Powerstone Problems??

Aaallright people, listen up.

I downloaded the game Powerstone 2. It works great on Chankast, love the game, etc. Well, I recently aquired some Dreamcast hardware (w00t). So, now my Chanka is legal :whistling. Anyways. I know burned games work on this dreamcast, so I burn myself a copy of Powerstone 2. The dreamcast will NOT boot it. Here's where it gets bizzare - I put the CD back in my computer, and Chanka can load the game off the CD! I mean, Chankast quite literally boots and loads the game off the CD - no images mounted in the virtual drives. So, does anyone know what the problem might be? I have a hunch - the BIOS used in chanka, the Dreamcast logo is blue, and yet it's red on my real dreamcast, so the PS2 image I have could be non-USA. But even boot disks won't boot it on the real dreamcast. I even tried remaking the image selfboot, and it does boot then, but after the SEGA logo it dumps back to the BIOS menu.

Any ideas?

OP
K

koiulpoi

Pie
I'm using Utopia 1.2. Not even that will load it, it's like the cd doesn't even spin up, or it only does for a short amount of time.

Last edited:

Herecles

How old is your dc? Could a worn out dc lens be the problem. If not you could always try a newer version of utopia. I find 1.3 works perfectly for me.

OP
K

koiulpoi

Pie
Well, I'm doubting the lens is worn out - PSO still only takes 2-3 seconds to load my character, so it seems to be working ok. And this might be, say, illegal, but where might I find utopia 1.3? 1.2 is the latest one I can find avaliable.

Whirlinurd

It could be a bit of a problem that powerstone doesn't boot since you want to play it on your perfectly working dreamcast. And I don't believe that the Utopia discs are illegal since everybody has the right to use backups when you also own the original discs. This could not be true for all the different countries. Let's get to the point. You want an Utopia Boot disc. I have version 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 and 1.5. Not sure about that 1.5 version since I never heared that it was released. Maybe it's a 'unofficial' one but it works just as good.

When a admin confirms that I can attach this Utopia Discs to this thread then I will do so as soon as possible.

OP
K

koiulpoi

Pie
Tried utopia 1.3 - no such luck. Tried utopia 1.5 - won't boot.

It seems to me that every single NRG file I have burned, no matter what the program used, will simply not boot on my Dreamcast.

Herecles

When i burn an iso, i always mount it with daemon tools and then on nero express i select "copy entiire disc", with the source drive being the daemon drive and the dvdrw drive as the destination.
give it a try, (this method dont work too good with cdi images)

In addition, It does take longer to load a game from cdr on a real dc, and they dont work as well as gd discs. in retrospect i dont thinks its about territory or believe ou require a boot disc.
Maybe the laser in the dc just isnt good enough for cdrs (some models wont even play cdrs, so ive hered).

Last edited:

Whirlinurd

Yes, I am sure that not all models can boot cd recordables. I looked it up so you can check if you have a model manufactured between October and December 2000. These models can not handle the audio track before the actual game data. Try the site mentioned at the bottom and take a look at chapter 6. The site mentioned a workaround to place the selfboot audio track after the game data.

A few years ago when I checked another site and I saw a list of models with their serial number which ones can read cd-recordables. There seem to be also models that can read cd-rw's straight out of the box. I can not find this particular site anymore with google.

source: http://www.megagames.com/dc/dc_backup_faq.shtml

Last edited:
OP
K

koiulpoi

Pie
My model of Dremcast actually can boot CDRs, I believe I have stated that, and it was made July, 2000. However, I have

DISCOVERED A SOLUTION!

It's a Nero NRG file. Now, I tried 3 different burning programs. None of them worked. However, on a hunch, I uninstalled Nero 6 and popped in and updated Nero 5. Burned the image, works like a charm - I now have powerstone on my Dreamcast. Still don't know how/why chankast booted the bad cd - that's still bizzare to me.