What's new

Possible way to rip Gamecube games

weaselboy246

Ok, I have used Nero and ripped the disc using Dvd-Copy to Image and I got a 1.35Gb file. In theory this should be reversed right? So I used source code i got off of MSDN to compile a program to reverse all the bytes in a file around from finish to start. I am reversing the file as I type this, Im guess it'll take two days of constant reverseing to get this done(been going since midnight and it's only done 250Mb, Noon now). So who thinks this could possibly work?

Guru64

Who the hell told you disc's spin backwards? It's NOT true! Turn on your Gamecube with a disc in it. Wait a while and open the disc cover. Look what way the disc spins. It spins clockwise, just like every other disc.

OP
W

weaselboy246

duh, everybody knows that much but does anyone know about how it was written!? the cube's laser may acually read in the opposite direction instead of the method other cd-based products use. has nothing to do with how the disc spins.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Uhhh, it really shouldn't take days to reverse a file. If so, then that program is doing something wrong. Really. That should take only a minute at most.

WhiteX

I believe that this entire thread goes against the Forum rules, please remove any tip or hint that may lead to the way to ripping a GC game.

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
I really doubt he's giving away any magical secrets... put a disc in your DVD drive, big whoop.

WhiteX

I´m kinda conservative when it comes to the whole "rom requesting" I think that this method is full of shit,however newbies may get drawn to here in the hopes that this guy will teach them how to rip their games.

tye stik

Super Nintendo Wizard
i dunno what the big deal is WhiteX. I dont think emutalk.net should be held responsible for ppl posting about ripping games or Rom requests. Is someone gonna come and knock on your door and tell you "Hey! it's your fault someone learned where to find ISO's of my games!!"

OP
W

weaselboy246

god people, do you not have any hope on figuring out a simple way of getting these ISOs? I just post an idea and I get my ass flamed up. See if I ever come to Emutalk for help...

Toasty

Sony battery
weaselboy246 said:
1449551462.4 bytes in 1.35Gb with it processing 1 byte every millisecond...
Wow, do you understand how slow computers would be if they could only process information that slowly? The fact that the method is completely flawed aside (GC discs simply cannot be read by conventional DVD drives), that's really ridiculous. If that were true, it would take a computer almost three minutes to buffer one second of CD audio. In other words, it would take just under ten days for you to play an 80 minute CD... The program you're using is either wasting time sleeping or doing something else. Either that or you (incredibly extremely) desperately need to defragment your hard drive.

tye stik

Super Nintendo Wizard
Hmm, theres something I've noticed too.... Toasty i think we're related!!!

Black mages rule :term:

adwin

Well, if somebody has a legit copy and wants to make a backup, why can't they.
Anyway, in order to clarify, Gamecube reads DVD NORMALLY, BUT, it reads the discs from the OUTSIDE in NOT the INSIDE out.
So, reversing byte order won't do any good.

Reznor007

1 bit is .125 of a byte

3 bits would be .375 bytes
4 bits would be .5 bytes

Having .4 bytes is not possible.

Toasty

Sony battery
Yes, the smallest addressable unit of memory is a byte, so files must be a whole number of bytes in size. Also, I thought the GC discs being read from outside-in was just a false rumor...? And, yes, tye stik, black mages pwn everything! :evil:

Guru64

1) Gamecube discs just can't be red by a regular DVD drive, so either you're just lying, have a corrupt image file or have one of those special drives made for developers.
2) Why the hell would you reverse the file? The Gamecube discs don't spin backwards and the data isn't written backwards.

revl8er

That Damn Good
god people, do you not have any hope on figuring out a simple way of getting these ISOs? I just post an idea and I get my ass flamed up. See if I ever come to Emutalk for help...

I haven't seen any sign of you getting flamed, all I have seen was people making good points on what you posted about. For one thing you really aren't supposed to talk about this kind of thing on emutalk because it's against forum rules. Also with the type of attitude you are showing some of us could probably care less if you come back to emutalk for help.