What's new

possible to speed up Glide 64?

A.I.

Banned
Is it just me or do I sense a great deal of sarcasm here....:whistling

Updated MSVC2005 runtimes are here.

Thank you for runtime downloads. I need to know, they are meant for Windows XP, aren't they? And they won't screw my computer up?

And no i wasn't being sarcastic, Mudlord (i would have added a smirk smiley if i was). Fbe is now inexplicably working, well for CBFD anyway. Don't forget, my system is WEIRD! :)

mudlord

Banned
Thank you for runtime downloads. I need to know, they are meant for Windows XP, aren't they? And they won't screw my computer up?

And no i wasn't being sarcastic, Mudlord (i would have added a smirk smiley if i was). Fbe is now inexplicably working, well for CBFD anyway. Don't forget, my system is WEIRD!

Nah, its cool :). The runtimes are meant for XP. And no, they won't stuff your computer up, they are official download packages by MS (except, its on Doom's server).

And I won't forget your system is kooky when it comes to OGL things in future....;)

Legend

Yes, I would, namely due to the speed tweaks. The main changes this one has over the last one are:

* Tweaks to the texture copying based on info from NVIDIA on optimal texture formats
* Much more aggressive compiler optimizations (basically, the optimizations are turned right up on full speed optimizations, with threading/fiber optimizations, as well as link-time code generation [excludes PGO unfortunately, didnt have time to profile it].)
* Changed the wrapper to use a multithreaded runtime DLL

This is still based on ziggy's latest public code. Its true that accuracy is better with FBOs off, but personally, the main difference with it is with Resident Evil 2 (and there is no simple way to write into the depth buffer using framebuffer objects. Ziggy's method overcomes this,).

Basically, no sacrifices are made. No tex cache changes are made, which means memory usage should be fine and it should fluctuate and not leak at all, since I didn't touch the texture caching code at all.

Appreciate the information. Since I use your wrapper for all my N64games, any slight enhancement is always welcomed. :) I will use this build from now on and I'll use FBO's until I see any issues and update my sig. Now go put it over in the Glide64 forums; that place has needed a little life lately. :sorcerer:

mudlord

Banned
Now go put it over in the Glide64 forums; that place has needed a little life lately.

Hmmm, it seems we needed a optimized build over there anyway based on ziggy's new code :). Around release time, Gonetz might do a ICC compile anywayz..

Okay, updated optimized build is there.

Last edited:

A.I.

Banned
The new ms runtimes has greatly improved my computer's performance!
:w00t:

O.K. i got my shit together and put my dll's in the right place (it been a while since i last changed them so i got em mixed up) and im not getting errors but get this - when i delete the glide3x.dll from the PJ Directory i get FBE!!! When glide3x.dll is in Pj64 directory i dont get FBE. And it crashes when i exit full screen. Weird! Why is this?

mudlord

Banned
The new ms runtimes has greatly improved my computer's performance!

Hmmm, sure not what your experiencing is a great deal of placebo...? ;)

Updated MSVC runtimes (comes with Visual Studio 2005 SP1 for me), don't make any difference in overall system speed for me...

when i delete the glide3x.dll from the PJ Directory i get FBE!!! When glide3x.dll is in Pj64 directory i dont get FBE. And it crashes when i exit full screen. Weird! Why is this?

Well, I don't have the answers to all your questions dude. I haven't tested this build in full screen yet, I only compiled it today, and I'm too tired atm to do checks on it (11:04PM here)...but it seems weird that when its deleted you get working fbe.....thats odd, to put it in the slightest. I'm not awake enough to do tech support atm....maybe later....

Trotterwatch

Have you another Glide3x.dll in Windows/System32 by any chance? If so that'll be why, it's using that one when you deleted the one in the PJ64 folder.

Unless I've misunderstood the issue which is quite possible.

A.I.

Banned
Have you another Glide3x.dll in Windows/System32 by any chance? If so that'll be why, it's using that one when you deleted the one in the PJ64 folder.

Unless I've misunderstood the issue which is quite possible.

Yes, you are right, Trotterwatch! I have glide2x.dll and glide3x.dll in the Windows folder. What should I do? I tried deleting the glide2x.dll but no result. Should I delete glide3x.dll too. It should be in the PJ64 directory, yes? Which i did have before i deleted it as i thought it was OK to be in windows directory, maybe...I have no idea how both of them ended up in Windows folder. I am clueless...

All i want is glide to be fixed and play CBFD without errors.

Legend

Get rid of all that junk in the Windows folder and just have Mudlord's in the emu folder. It essestially works the same but it's easier to manage the wrapper with it close by (along side the emu). I think whatever is in the Windows directory is looked at first and if not there it will look in the folder with the exe but I'm not sure. Something you installed probably put those files in the Windows folder. GET RID OF IT ALL!! :cowboy:

A.I.

Banned
OK. Done. There is only one glide3x.dll in PJ64 Directory - glide3x.dll 3.30.670. This is the only glide3x.dll that will give me FBE. The problem is when i exit full screen it crashes PJ64.

I tested (nearly) every glide wrapper, new, beta, optimzed, wonderPlus, wonderglide++ and i dont get errors with them now even if i enable FBE but i dont get FBE fx either.

I guess it must be my computer then...

Last edited:

Legend

Its true that accuracy is better with FBOs off, but personally, the main difference with it is with Resident Evil 2 (and there is no simple way to write into the depth buffer using framebuffer objects. Ziggy's method overcomes this,).

Looks like Lego Racers also does'nt work with FBO's ON (though it did back in Hack's last release). The opponent cars are now transparant, so FBO's OFF is needed to play the game. I think I go back and use this as the default, god knows what else might be broken.

ziggy

Looks like Lego Racers also does'nt work with FBO's ON (though it did back in Hack's last release). The opponent cars are now transparant, so FBO's OFF is needed to play the game. I think I go back and use this as the default, god knows what else might be broken.

Hmm, it works with my build of the wrapper.

Does mudlord's build improve performance noticeably ? I'm a bit surprised, the wrapper doesn't do anything very CPU intensive. Furthermore, GCC 4.x (the compiler I'm using) is quite good at optimizing.

Legend

I just tried your RC4 and it works the same way. In fullscreen, FBO's makes the other racers transparant when close and with FBO's off, the opponents NEVER disappear.

And to be honest, I have seen no speed increase (hate to tell ya Mudlord). I looked at Perfect Dark's night vision effect and 1080 and several other games and saw no FPS increase. Maybe on a lower end system, these increases can be seen, just not on my system I guess. =]

ziggy

I just tried your RC4 and it works the same way. In fullscreen, FBO's makes the other racers transparant when close and with FBO's off, the opponents NEVER disappear.
Ok, I haven't tried under a real win32 OS, only with wine under linux, maybe that's the reason I don't see the problem. How exactly is it transparent ? Do you have a screenshot ?

mudlord

Banned
And to be honest, I have seen no speed increase (hate to tell ya Mudlord). I looked at Perfect Dark's night vision effect and 1080 and several other games and saw no FPS increase. Maybe on a lower end system, these increases can be seen, just not on my system I guess.

Hmm, in any case I notice them on mine.

In any case, I posted up the updated MSVC2005 projects. :).