What's new

Porting Mupen64Plus to Android

OP
paulscode

paulscode

This version has shadows but they flicker
Mupen64Plus-debug-hwinfo,-.001,-.001.apk
all others dont have shadows.

I'll just need to zero in on the correct offset settings for your GPU. Please try each of these out and let me know if any have shadows, and if so whether they are flickery or sorted incorrectly:

Hummingbird Test 1

Hummingbird Test 2

Hummingbird Test 3

Hummingbird Test 4

Hummingbird Test 5

Hummingbird Test 6

Hummingbird Test 7

Hummingbird Test 8

If there are no shadows on any of these, please provide a logcat output from one of them (doesn't matter which one). Thanks again for helping with the testing!

So how you want me to do it, run aLogcat first, then emu then close emu and then save log in Logcat? Or just open Logcat after playing and closing emu ?
The best way is to run aLogcat first, clear the logs, run the app, then run aLogcat again to save the log. However, if you skip the first two steps it will work too (the log will just be a lot longer).

Does this version work with ARMv6 processors ?
Yes, the only limitation is the video plug-in which requires GLES2. I'll write a GLES1 video plug-in eventually. Of course on any device 600MHz or lower, games won't run at a very playable speed without overclocking.

Last edited:

2blackbar

Hey great news about armv6, some users who have 800mhz phones cant play n64 but now maybe they would be able thanks to you.
Ill test these now and edit this post.
Only Mupen64Plus-debug-hummingbird,.1,.1.apk and Mupen64Plus-debug-hummingbird,.2,.2.apk have proper shadows and on all other versions shadows are blinking so there is no version without any shadows.
Log from blinking shadows version, i think Mupen64Plus-debug-hummingbird,-.1,-.1.apk:
http://www.mediafire.com/?50z8lcxykzsc6qj

Last edited:
OP
paulscode

paulscode

Activity on EmuTalk seems to have slowed down recently (this was a pretty exciting place just a few months ago). I'm hoping it's just cyclical and folks will be back.. I personally find this forum to be one of the more interesting ones. There are about 250-300 people following this project on various other forums around the internet, and several are actively helping run the tests. It should generate a lot more interest in the Android community once I post the app on the Android Market (I just need to finish the front-end/ GUI first).

2blackbar

Dont change onscreen controls to make them solid like actual buttons on gamepad. Outlines only are perfect cause they arent covering the screen, maybe only option to have joystick on the top would be nice but look of the controls is good, we only need outlines to see their colour, maybe add different outline colours for different games but white is ok.
Maybe move A and B more towards corner , just to stay away from the middle of the screen and all action.

OP
paulscode

paulscode

The onscreen gamepad is totally customizable (take a look in the /mnt/sdcard/app-data/paulscode.android.mupen64plus/skins/gamepads/ folder. The syntax is fairly straight forward, if you are interested in designing your own virtual gamepad I'll be happy to help you figure it out (doesn't take any programming skills)

OP
paulscode

paulscode

Here's an update:

--Links removed--

IMPORTANT: If you've run any of the previous tests, you must remove them completely before installing these versions, or you will receive signature errors and they won't install.

It's been a while since I posted an update here, so I won't go into all the changes (there have been a lot). Please stop by my website if you are interested in reading about recent progress, or ask me here if you have any questions.

Last edited:

nguyen925

Hey Paul, I was trying to install this on my Kindle Fire and it installs fine but when I get to opening up a rom (Zelda for instance) it instantly minimizes the screen but still continues to run in the background. I was using n64droid previously and it was missing some textures in my ROM. I opted to use this emulator instead in hopes to actually see the entire screen. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot for your hard work Paul!!

OP
paulscode

paulscode

When the games are running in the background, do you still hear the game audio?

If you do still hear the audio, then this is a new bug (I'll have to do a little research to figure out what might be happening). What version of Android does your Kindle Fire run?

If you do not hear the game audio, then let me know the following:

Which version of the app are you running? (I haven't posted the last two updates here, and there have been a couple bug-fixes for the app crashing back to the home screen or main menu in certain cases. I'll post the current version "1.2" here shortly)

What format are the ROMs, and are they zipped?

Do you get the same behavior when loading the mupen64plus demo ROM? (located in [sdcard]/Android/data/paulscode.android.mupen64plus/roms/mupen64plus.v64)

OP
paulscode

paulscode

Here's the latest version (1.3). Please stop by my website if you are interested in reading the list of changes. or installing one of the archived earlier versions.

Release APK (source code)
This is the main version, for anyone who does not own an Xperia Play.

Xperia Play version (source code)
The Xperia Play version is identical to the previous build, except it is built to handle touch-pad input specific to the Xperia Play and automatically sets up common settings and button-mappings the first time it executes. If your device is not an Xperia Play, then use the other version.

dazey238

Hello Paul,

What a fantastic project! Well done on the progress so far.

Only thing for me is, I've downloaded and installed the most recent version on my LY-F1 tablet (Cortex A8 1.2Ghz processor, 512MB RAM, 8GB NAND Flash, Android 2.3), put my Super Mario 64 cart dump on there as well, started up the emulator and loaded the ROM, and then....nothing.

The on-screen controls appear, but if I try to do anything else, the app locks up. I've tried both video plugins.

Any ideas?

OP
paulscode

paulscode

Thanks for the report, is it just that game, or others doing the same thing? You might also check your file on the PC version just to make sure the rip went ok.

dazey238

Thanks for the report, is it just that game, or others doing the same thing? You might also check your file on the PC version just to make sure the rip went ok.

No problem - unfortunately, the tablet had an unrelated issue with it so I've had to send it back, the game rip is definitely fine though as have played it through to completion on my PC! Just thought I would try it on the tablet given that it's the game you had as the starting point for the emulator port.

So I can't test any further - basically as I say, the on-screen controls would appear, but with a black screen behind them. I'd wait a while just to see if anything was going to happen, then it *might* let me access the menu along the bottom of the screen by pressing the tablet button, but couldn't get any further. I tried renaming the rip to be mario.n64 as I see you used in earlier versions of the app but no joy. Sorry I can't be of further help, maybe it was just a one-off???

I may be getting another tablet soon so will try again if so! Keep up the good work, seems like you're really putting forth a great effort for N64 emulation.

OP
paulscode

paulscode

Different devices sometimes behave very differently (currently having one issue with Tegra 2 and Yinlips Console, and another different issue with Droid Bionic, Razer, and Atrix, for example, neither of which affect any other devices) so there could very well be a problem with the LY-FI that I just haven't seen yet. Let me know when you get your tablet back (assuming you just sent it back for repairs), and I'll write a verbose test for you to run to see if I can figure out what's going on.