What's new

"Please inser game disk" error

tya

I'm completely new to Chankast and dreamcast emulators in general. After I installed Chankast on my computer by unzipping it onto my hard drive, I ran Chankast_alpha_25.exe. Following along with the "Getting started" section of the manual, I tried to mount and run the game: Sould Calibur. I mounted the disk image using Daemon Tools Lite v4.30.0, ran Chankast, setup the controls (I used the keyboard since I have no gamepad or joystick), selected the proper drive that contained the virtual disk image, then went to Run->Start. After that, I selected the "Play icon", pressed the key I had setup that corresponds with "A" on the controller and got a pop-up box (within the emulator) saying "Please insert game disk". Also, the Chankast installation folder contains dc_bios.bin and dc_flash.bin.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Here's my hardware.

AMD 64 X2 dual core 5600.
nVidia GeForce 8800GT 512MB
4 x 1GB DDR2 RAM
Epox ep-af590SLI2 motherboard with nForce 590 chipset.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Your hardware has nothing to do with the error message, but ok.
Also, you might want to read the board rules, before you get a free ticket to banland.

On a side note, it's great to see that you've gone to such great lengths to make sure that you've set everything up properly, including making sure that the disc image is mounted properly and that the disc image is selfboot. Nice job.

As for your problem. You shouldn't even be forced to start the game from the Dreamcast's menu, it should just boot directly after you've chosen File --> Run. Now, it's also widely known that certain versions of Daemon Tool mess up Chankast's game detection pretty badly, so that might also be at least part of the problem.

Now, I'm not going to ask you to downgrade Daemon Tools. Just switch emulators and try the game on nullDC. Not only is it leaps and bounds better than Chankast, but it handles the boot procedures a lot better too. There's a very good chance that the game will play without a hitch on nullDC, and you don't even have to use Daemon Tools if you don't want to.

I realize that recommending another emulator on a forum dedicated to Chankast isn't the most conscious thing to do, but in light of the fact that Chankast has been dead and buried for over four years now with tons of issues, is forcing my decision quite heavily.

Last edited: