What's new

Please Help?!

lynchpin

I am totally NEW to emulators, but i so desperately wanted to find a thing to play n64 games on my pc - i have been playing n64 since i was 6 and still havent got bored of it. i have saved a few games from pj64. when i open the emulator (project 64 - 1.6), i try to open the file but it wont...

i REALLY want to play ocarina of time, which i have downloaded but cant open.

PLEASE HELP, it would be VERY much appreciated ^^

EmuNoviceUser

Just Having Fun
Please give a little more information. When you try to open it, do any errors appear? Does PJ64 shut down with no error? Are you using the default plugins (I assume so, but you may have made changes)? Have you tried running the ROM from any other emulators?

Last edited:
OP
L

lynchpin

thanks for reading.

It says that i havent chose a correct ROM file, i think i am supposed to convert the game into a ROM, but i havnt got any clue.

Thank you for taking time to reply. ^^

EmuNoviceUser

Just Having Fun
Is the file zipped?

I see two possibilities: you are trying to load a ROM save file as a ROM or (less likely) you are trying to load a file that is unrelated to ROMs completely.

What is the 2 or 3 letter extension after the period at the end of the file name (ie: Zelda_Ocarina_of_Time.rom)? If you cannot see this, go to My Computer, click Tools, then Folder Options, then the View tab. Find "Hide extensions for known file types" and uncheck that box and click Apply.

It is possible that you are not using a ROM at all. If that is so, I cannot help you because no one is allowed to give out locations of where ROMs can be found on the web due mainly to legal issues.

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
rom, n64, z64, v64, usa, pal, jap are some of the extensions N64 rom images have. Both N64 Zelda games are 256Mbits, so the filesize 32MB.

Last edited:
OP
L

lynchpin

thanks.

it is called ocarina_of_time.sra. i dont want locations for .rom files, but could you tell me how i could use the .sra file > do i need to convert it into a .rom?

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
You are trying to load a battery save (SRAM, Static RAM) from OoT, which doesn't work. What you have is not the game.

OP
L

lynchpin

thanks, i have now realised my mistake, i have located the actual .ROM file now, and it works perfectly, i also have learnt quiet a bit about the n64 emulator thanks to you guys.

EmuNoviceUser

Just Having Fun
It will just die on it's own.

Glad you solved your problem as I was about to inform you that the file you had was not related to emulation and you were out of luck!