What's new

Please help me pick an OS

Stezo2k

S-2K
think your wrong there about windows xp speed in games. ive seen benchmarks that proove it. And about RAM, Ram is cheap anyway, i'd go for windows xp. You dont even need a fast pc to run it (theres a dude running it with a pentium 1) and its the fastest windows available (benchmarks again).
Ppl always put winXP down even when they havent used it themselfes.

Stez

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Well, can't really say i agree with any of you...
XP is a lot better than 98 is terms of stability, but that's the only.
XP has lots of bugs and is slower in start/shut down than any other windows, but works with most games.

2k is not good since it has not too good support for games.

Stezo2k

S-2K
well xp seems to be very fast at starting up.. its just the shut down that tends to be slow. i havent noticed any bugs in xp at all and ive had it for months

Stez

Stezo2k

S-2K
doesnt take me long to start up anyway i counted and it was 16 sec to get to the desktop. if ya havent used bootvis (i think its called) give that a try it boosts ya xp boot up time by half and its official. if ya have norton internet security i heard that slows down xp boot time.
This site has a lot of tweaks to speed up xp a lot incase u didnt know about it

http://www.tweakxp.com/

Stez

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Stezo2k said:
doesnt take me long to start up anyway i counted and it was 16 sec to get to the desktop. if ya havent used bootvis (i think its called) give that a try it boosts ya xp boot up time by half and its official. if ya have norton internet security i heard that slows down xp boot time.
This site has a lot of tweaks to speed up xp a lot incase u didnt know about it

http://www.tweakxp.com/

Stez
I have tried bootvis and it didn't improve anything. And it's as slow with or without nis.

gokuss4

Meh...
people have their own opinions on operating systems. no one is correct here. it depends on what their system specs and what not are and how people use/treat it. for games go for win98se, for speed try winxp, for mostly professional use go with 2k. yeah yeah i changed my minds on some of them but you know i researched it more. but it depends on money also, so choose the best operating system for you.

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
Well, if i combine my user selection load up with my Computer turn on to WinXP log-in screen I'd say its about the same, maybe a tad slower

Olger901

Banned
Doomulation: Did you do a full install of Win XP or an Upgrade.

If you did a upgrade from any OS to WinXP that might be your problem also do you have a pentium processor or an AMD because with a p3 800 Win XP gives some probs and there are fixes for it which i might be able to help

Trotterwatch

He has an AMD (it's in his sig), however something is definately amiss considering all of the problems he seems to be having.

I.E Slow bootups, Slow shutdowns, Resolution problems in PJ64/1964 etc

Stezo2k

S-2K
gokus mostly right, but windows xp is good for games tho. All the new games work on it and quite a lot of old ones work gr8 on it too (sometimes compatabilty mode is needed, make sure u have the compatabilty upgrade from windows update)

if you own a lot of old games and wana play em i'd sugest windows 98.
Otherwise i'd use windows xp.

Or if ya have the hard drive space have a dual boot system with 98 and xp on it.

Looks like doom upgraded to xp pro judging by his slow startups/shutdowns.

Stez

Trotterwatch

I actually upgraded from 98 - with no problems
(however I do tend to look after my O/S well, and thus 98 was virtually like a clean install of it, registry in good order etc).

Stezo2k

S-2K
yea same here :) the only prob was i had to re-install norton internet security and get some xp drivers for my modem. I never wana go back to 98 :D

Stez

Olger901

Banned
Win XP is fast with booting and shutting down correct.

But when I run games on my pc My frames in window s98 se are 15 more then in Win XP and I think that is pretty much So Windows 98 SE is faster with running stuff

Win2k is slow with booting an shutting down.

But when I play games on 2k it is 5 frames faster then win 98 se (so 20 frames faster then in win xp) so that if you want speed with running stuff you should go with win2k.

I also found out why Windows XP boots so fast.

It starts the minimum system. Drivers, Explorer winlogon and that is it. Windows 98 se starts also programs like registry check, taskbar and more. If you disable these Win 98 boots for me as fast as Win XP does and that is why it also takes longer in Windows XP (for me at least) to start a program, run a program and shut down a program) that cuz it runs the extra files like directx only if it is needed Win98 starts it at startup (unfortunately you can't disable it)

Stezo2k

S-2K
i think its different for different ppls pcs. i used to run a DDR simulator for pc on windows 98 it performed ok. when i upgraded 2 xp it seemed a lot faster and smoother. I think it depends on your system

Smiff

Emutalk Member
i use 2000 and it pisses me off that one day i know i'll be effectively forced by MS to move to XP...

1964er

Malcolm said:
Well, if i combine my user selection load up with my Computer turn on to WinXP log-in screen I'd say its about the same, maybe a tad slower

you can turn off the login screen

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
I could but then Id either have to log right into my mom's desktop (very restriced), or have it load into mine (where she shouldn't ahve access), and thats too inconvient.

:)