What's new

Please enlighten me about PCI Express

ydnas51169

My motherboard doesn't have any AGP port because it has built in VGA (SIS AGP)... needed to upgrade to a new VGA that does support NVIDIA or Radeon... is there anyway I can do that... if so what Video Card do I need?

You see im a little confused about these emerging "PCI Express" and the "PCI Classic". Mine is ECS K7SOM+ with a AMD Duron Processor...

Please I need to know if i can buy new video card for my PC... thanks anyway for anyone who can help and enlighten me...

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
PCI Express is the new interface recently created for new graphics cards (among other things it can do), I don't think your Duron board will have one because it sounds too old to have it.

PCI "Classic" as you call it is a white socket on your motherboard that has existed since the creation of the ATX motherboard (In other words, what you have).

You can get PCI (not express) graphics cards but they are usually pretty slow compared to AGP ones. I advise you not to buy a PCI-Express one, it will most definitely not work.

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
Hm, I guess you bought a really budget system.

Check out the manufacturer's link - www.ecsusa.com/products/k7som_7c.html

You have exactly two PCI slots (2 white slots in the bottom left), and no AGP, and no PCI-Express as you suspected. You can buy a PCI video card, but check to see that you don't already have PCI cards filling up your two spaces (2 is a very low amount of slots, most boards come with 4 or 5).

OP
Y

ydnas51169

Thanks people... I guess I really need to buy a new set of motherboard with new processor... thanks again for the help