What's new

playing GBA ROMs on a DS

regnad

Don't really know where to post this, so I'll try it here.

How do you play GBA ROMs on a DS? Do you have to have a GBA Flashcard in the 2-Slot, or can you do it with an R4 from the 1-Slot?

Is there a better place to find out this kind of information?

Thanks a bunch in advance!

OP
R

regnad

What's the best way to do this?

Is there a good tutorial somewhere for people who have no idea where to start? Or any advice?

smcd

I assume you're meaning homebrew GBA games and not retail dumps *cough* but you'd need a slot-2 flash card that says it supports GBA games for playing your homebrew GBA games on a DS

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
google is your friend

we can't talk about what brands to use as they are not legal:pirate:arr

Last edited:
OP
R

regnad

Yeah, okay. I understand and won't ask. Using Google I have found which ones are best for this kind of thing.

But I still have this, perhaps idiotic, newby question:

In addition to the slot-2 flashcard, would I need some kind of USB connection cable, or do most slot-2 flashcards have a mini or micro flash card? And what sort of software do you use to put homebrew GBA games on the flashcard?

Last edited:

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
we can't talk about what brands to use as they are not legal:pirate:arr

Really? Is there something specific you have read somewhere that notes these devices as being illegal? Seriously I'm just curious. Would seem to me that the hardware is perfectly legal, but the uses most end users probably apply is what is illegal?

smcd

@LazerTag: agreed. They're perfectly legal for doing development or playing homebrew/scene games. When a users uses it to play licensed material acquired from the internet is where it ceases to be legal in most countries.

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
In addition to the slot-2 flashcard, would I need some kind of USB connection cable, or do most slot-2 flashcards have a mini or micro flash card? And what sort of software do you use to put homebrew GBA games on the flashcard?

mostly they use SD cards (you'll need a SD card reader/wrighter)
but some use USB

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Supercard SD is teh awesomeness. I haven't tried their new lineup of Slot-1 cards, but I still love my old Slot-2 one, works fine for mostly everything. And you can patch your backups to run on the Slot-2 entirely, also. (You can just run it right through the patcher, and if it doesn't work right, it's probably not up to date.)

A.I.

Banned
Best slot 1&2 card combo:
Cyclods Evolution & EZ Flash V 3 in 1
Best GBA loader:
GBA Exploader