What's new

PJ64 vs Other N64 Emulators

Archn

How do they compare, and please be specific (I.E. x runs faster than y but y handles full screen and y has much better sound than x because x is choppy) if you can?

So far all I have used is PJ64 (1.3 and 1.5 - I had downloaded 1.3 initially off a P2P network when looking for N64). PJ1.5 is definately better than 1.3 because it can handle more games such as Yoshi's Story, but perhaps that was due to a plugin change.

Is PJ64 the best? It is the most widely used emulator on the P2P server that I see when searching for N64.

If it's not the best (In general I guess - I'd kind of list strengths and weaknesses of the different emulators), which is the best?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Clements

My Opinion on this:

(Best > Worst)
Speed:
Nemu 0.8 > 1964 0.85 > PJ64 1.5 SP1

Compatibility:
PJ64 1.5 SP1 > 1964 0.85 > Nemu 0.8

-My system is fast so I use PJ64 1.5 SP1 with all my games, it's rock stable, Jabo's Audio is flawless with all my games and the coloured menu is gorgeous. The help files that come with it are very nice too.

-1964 0.85 offers a trade off between speed and compatibility. Cannot use Jabo's audio which is a bit of a bummer, but offers much more 'tweakability' with the counter factors.

-Nemu 0.8 is fastest but unstable on my system.

I'll probably switch to 1964 0.99 when it is released, since it will be even more user friendly than 0.85 and the compatibility will be close to PJ64, and can use all the plugins that PJ64 can.

Also, don't download emus off P2P, go to the official sites.