What's new

PJ64 Slow

Lately ive noticed PJ64 running much slower then it used to ( 30-40 fps instead of the normal 50-60) and ive tried many different plugins with the same results. I have the latest drivers for my card, no other aps. running, etc. Also i have the same problem when using 1964. If anyone has any ideas, i would appreciate it. :(

revl8er

That Damn Good
Try uninstalling and reinstalling your emulator. Also what plugins are you using? It might also be your memory. You might need at least 128mb more memory.

OP
CrzCorvette
Try uninstalling and reinstalling your emulator.

I tried reinstalling and still having the same problem.

Also what plugins are you using?

I'm using Jabo's 1.5.1, Jabo's Direct Sound 1.5, N-Rage Input. I've also tried others (Rice's, Azimer's...etc)

You might need at least 128mb more memory.

It's run perfectly in the past with 128.

I'm thinking it might have somthing to do with sound settings, because certain sound plugins such as Azimer's have no sound or are very scratchy / laggy sound. :doh:

jollyrancher

Lately ive noticed PJ64 running much slower then it used to ( 30-40 fps instead of the normal 50-60)

Well there are lots of reasons why it might be running slower now, but it would help if you list any changes in your system (hardware and software) since it became sluggish. Also, have other games also started becoming sluggish? If nothing on your system has changed and everything now's really sluggish, get Spybot and check to see if you have any trojans.

OP
CrzCorvette
The only changes I've made recently is the installation of a new GeForce 3 Ti 200, although PJ was running perfectly after that for about 2 weeks before this started to happen. All my other games are still running fine, including high graphical ones such as Halo. I did a spyware check on my comp and got rid of a few files, but still having the same problems.

EDIT : Has anyone ever experienced this problem with sound plugins before? I've updated my sound card and everything, and its working fine on everything except PJ / 1964.

Last edited:

jollyrancher

I didn't listen to the recordings, but you'll have all kinds of sound problems if the game isn't runing at 60 vi's/sec (50 for pal). So it gets back to why the games are running slower than they used to. As a last resort, you could try some older detonator drivers that work fastest on my geforce3 ti200, the 28.32's. Also check what "hidden" background processes and services you have running... some of them get installed without your knowledge and can slow the system down.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
All I hear is a single note sound with stuttering under Jabo's DSound 1.5 and
Zilmar's audio plugins. Under Azimer's audio plugin, the audio sounds like you may have a video driver problem and/or the Direct Sound audio acceleration is disabled. Make sure the AGP transfer rate is at AGP 4X. Make sure the driver settings are OK.

Last edited:

-Shadow-

Banned
I think he got just too few ram...128mb is the minimum requirement to get Win XP Running i think there's no ram left to play ANYTHING . The Sound bug could appear cuz your machine got too few ram to set a proper sound buffer...

Last edited:

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
128 MB is enough for Windows XP if you close other Windows applications and often, insufficient RAM don't cause the game to continuing running slow at one speed (usually if you have insufficient RAM, the game will run fast, then start pausing in middle of action, accompanied by a repeatedly flashing HDD LED. The game with insufficient RAM usually will run fast, but the speed fluctuates majorly with pauses and/or stuttering, *not* the game running too slow at one speed that usually don't change.) If the game don't pause or stutter, except for the audio, but the game is too slow at one speed, the person probably is using the interpreter, has a video card configuration problem and/or DirectSound acceleration is disabled.

Last edited:

-Shadow-

Banned
Did you try to play Gothic 2 with Win XP + 128Mb-Sdr ?????? The game gets completely fucked up with 128MB (fucked up = >sound is stuttering< , endless HDD activity , missing graphics etc.) ! It runs normal with 512Mb-DDR . The Optimum is 1024 . I think you didn't even try to use 128Mb with Win XP , it's digitized Hell !!! :ranting: :ranting::ranting:

BTW : Win XP sucks 129Mb of ram for itself on my machine....

Last edited:

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
I know what you are talking about. The graphics not being drawn when they shall be drawn when the HDD is cranking. That's what the Windows GUI often does and Windows taking a long time to draw the desktop icons is common with PCs low on RAM.

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
did you try replacing the GF3 with your old vid card again? I know it doesn't make sense since it worked with the GF3, but you never know. Sometimes hardware gets jogged loose too, might as well try removing, then re-inserting your sound card to make sure it fits all snug and tight. My motherboard once detected a voltage that was too high, so I ended up just cleaning out the dust and straightening out some cards and wires, and presto, it was fixed.

The only other thing I can think of is using Interpreter instead of Recompiler as was mentioned before...

OP
CrzCorvette
I've been testing numerous games and seem to have the speed back to 50-60, although the sound still doesnt work. :( I tried removing and installing the sound drivers again, but that didn't help. Sounds working perfectly on everything except N64. Could anything such as installing a new emu or plugin cause somthing like this?

jollyrancher

It's probably not the sound card (I get great sound in PJ64 with Jabo's audio with my SB Live! card), but the fact that the game isn't constantly running at the full 60 vi's/second. Your computer is on the borderline (speedwise) of being able to run games fullspeed in PJ64, so you might want to try another emulator. If an emulator is running the games constantly at 60/sec and you're still getting terrible sound with all the good audio plugins (Jabo's, Azimer's, Schibo's, etc) then something else is wrong. For the few games that Jabo's doesn't get great sound, using "sync game to audio" sometimes helps.

Kaoss626

I may be completely off but one thing that affected the FPS for PJ64 for me was the refresh rate of my monitor (tho I'm not completely sure why) if I was at 60Hz I got 59.9 or 60 Vi/s but if I cranked up to 70Hz Vi/s would fall to 35. possibly PJ64 will do up to 60Vi/s and if you crank your refresh, it lowers the Vi/s to something less so it can sych the frames

OP
CrzCorvette
I'm gonna try refitting my GF3 and dusting off chips. If that doesnt work I may have to reformat my C:\ drive. :(

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
I doubt it's because the video card insn't seated properly, or else you would get crashes. Unless the above causes SmartGART to drop the AGP transfer rate to 1X, it's probably caused by a corrupted Windows installation, thus probably the only cure is to reformat the HDD and reinstall Windows XP AND THE DRIVERS, STARTING WITH THE CHIPSET DRIVERS BEFORE OTHER DRIVERS.

OP
CrzCorvette
Finally fixed it by completely uninstalling every N64 emu and installing them again with fresh downloads. :)