What's new

PJ64 keeps freezing

!REVENGE!

I know I already made a thread about it, but I honestly don't know what to goddamn do... the only game that works without any problems anywhere is Super Smash Bros. On Ocarina of Time, it works fine from the beginning up until I enter the Kokiri shop, where it freezes not just the emulator but my entire computer. I cant pause/repause, I can't exit, I can't even shut off my machine without unplugging. In GoldenEye it freezes randomly, especially after loading states.

Computer details:

Computer:
Computer Type ACPI Multiprocessor PC
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)

Motherboard:
CPU Type DualCore Intel Pentium D 925, 3000 MHz (15 x 200)
Motherboard Name Acer F672CR
Motherboard Chipset SiS 672
System Memory 896 MB (DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award (08/10/07)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter SiS Mirage 3 Graphics (128 MB)
3D Accelerator SiS 351 Mirage 3 IGP
Monitor Acer AL1916W [19" LCD] (L800C1164021)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Realtek ALC888/S/T @ SiS High Definition Audio Controller

Storage:
IDE Controller SiS PCI IDE Controller
IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
Disk Drive Generic USB CF Reader USB Device
Disk Drive Generic USB MS Reader USB Device
Disk Drive Generic USB SD Reader USB Device
Disk Drive Generic USB SM Reader USB Device
Disk Drive ST3250820AS (250 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)
Optical Drive HL-DT-ST DVDRAM_GSA-H60N
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Seriously, does anyone have a clue what I'm missing? It works flawlessly on my old shitty computer negating the lag.

Thanks in advance.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Get rid of that SiS video chip and get yourself a decent graphics card. At the very least, make sure that you've using the latest graphics drivers for that.

IIRC, all SiS chips (and therefore every card that uses them) are considered to be below the minimum specification for Project64 and using such hardware can lead to various problems such as random freezing and graphics corruption.

ThomasH

What version of PJ64 are you using and what plugins? Best to start off getting the latest drivers for your hardware. Then try a earlier version, I found 1.5 to work well on some lower end (3d low that is) systems but its compatibility is not as good so not for all games. Or if you have 1.7 beta account PM on there for help setting it up for your system. Avoid those leaked copies of 1.7 as every one I have seen is buggy as hell.

p_025

Voted Least Likely to Succeed
Disk Drive Generic USB CF Reader USB Device
Disk Drive Generic USB MS Reader USB Device
Disk Drive Generic USB SD Reader USB Device
Disk Drive Generic USB SM Reader USB Device
Your USB devices are not good enough to run Project64.

OP
R

!REVENGE!

What version of PJ64 are you using and what plugins? Best to start off getting the latest drivers for your hardware. Then try a earlier version, I found 1.5 to work well on some lower end (3d low that is) systems but its compatibility is not as good so not for all games. Or if you have 1.7 beta account PM on there for help setting it up for your system. Avoid those leaked copies of 1.7 as every one I have seen is buggy as hell.

Using version 1.6.

Video: Jabo's Direct3D8 1.6
Audio: Jabo's Directsound 1.6

I tried 1.5 and the graphics emulation just sucks too bad, 1.5 is out. I do have the latest drivers and now the Kokiri store doesn't freeze my system but opening a treasure still does.

I'll just replace my video card as Azuro suggested. Any suggestions what I should and should not avoid?

Agozer

Any card starting from Radeon 98xx and and late Nvidia 5xxx series works more than fine. It's not like you have much choice nowadays though.

P.S. Nice name you gave me.

OP
R

!REVENGE!

lol, my bad. Yeah, my old system uses NVIDIA which worked perfect. I do remember the paths in Kokiri being white instead of brown but meh. What I wanna know is why the hell the new system I bought came with such a crappy video card.

Agozer

Hah. That was actually pretty funny for some reason.

What I wanna know is why the hell the new system I bought came with such a crappy video card.
Hardware manufacturer deals basically. Integrated chips are cheap, and do just fine for basic computer graphics stuff, but you can through them out of the Window if you are into emulation or the latest PC games (exceptions being ATI's and Nvidia's integrated chips). It's usually the integrated Intel chips that get chipped with these kind of desktop computers, not SiS ones.

Last edited:

Agozer

Agozer, you told me to remove the SiS chip. I assume it's this rounded component on the bottom right with 'SiS' printed on it, right? Moreover, I don't see any video cards installed on my system. I guess the integrated chip manages graphics without an actual card?
Yes, that's right, on both counts. You cant remove the chip in the regular sense of the word (well, unless you happen to be an electronics expert), but you should be able to disable it from your computer's BIOS settings. Of course, only do this after you've installed a new video card in your computer. :/

OP
R

!REVENGE!

Ok, I installed the new video card, and also had to install a new PSU since my previous was too weak to support it. Now when I pop in the CD to install the drivers it says that the NVIDIA setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with my current hardware...

I haven't disabled the SiS chip yet, should I?

p_025

Yes, you should disable any onboard system you don't intend to use. For the drivers go to the NVidia website. That's lesson one, man.

OP
R

!REVENGE!

Ok, I'm a dumbass. How do I disable my onboard chip? On my BIOS, under Integrated Peripherals > PCI Devices I didn't find my video card (under the PCI express slot) does this mean my system doesn't recognize it? Or that it's not installed properly?

For the drivers go to the NVidia website. That's lesson one, man.

I did, same thing.

Toasty

Sony battery
You did make sure that you plugged your monitor into the new video card's VGA port, as opposed to the one on the motherboard that it used to be hooked up to, right? (Just asking because I've seen people hook up to their old IGP after buying new cards.)

OP
R

!REVENGE!

I tried, but I didn't get any video. At this point I'm not really convinced that my system recognizes the card I installed. Is there any way to confirm it?

p_025

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
Product Type: GeForce
Product Series: GeForce 8 series
Operating system: select your OS
Language: select your native language

then click search.
In the BIOS, look for something like Onboard SiS video: Enabled. If you really can't get any video from your GeForce ensure you have it in the right kind of slot (it's hard to do this wrong) and it is firmly plugged in.