What's new

PJ1.5, Detonator 40, Adaptoid and PD. Life is good.

nudetothis

Dang yall its incredible. I'm not usually the type who goes for "beta" drivers but when nvidia spouted about up to 25% improvements with the new 40's I figured I'd give it a shot. I got nothing but good news to report. Here are my specs that matter:

Epox 8KHA+ (using onboard sound)
AthlonXP 1700+
512mb DDR PC2100
PNY Geforce 4 Ti4400
Maxtor 60gb quiet drive

With both PJ1.4 and 1.5beta, and using nvidia 28.32, Perfect Dark was "playable" if I set desktop depth to 16bit, but I still ran into audio chitter particularly during cut scenes. And, when online (winmodem) resources were tapped enough I had some slowdown problems. Of course the machine would run any off the shelf PC game just fine.

PJ1.5 was a huge jump of course. Suddenly PD is running 100%, even when the modem was tapping the CPU. But get this ... I still had to run 16 bit. And, there was still some slowdown when firing the rocket launcher. If I set the desktop to 32 bit and/or engage the anisotropic filter options in PJ64 it was pretty much just like before... slowdown and audio chitter.

So, tonight I go for the new Detonator 40. Settings are now for 32 bit, 4xs AA, 4x anisotropic, and I play PJ full screen at 1280x1024, monitor refresh at 85Hz.

Result: Perfect Dark is running like a top at these settings now. No slowdown with the rocket launcher. No problems whatsoever.
Display is crisp and deep. Very nice. The difference with the tweaked display settings is subjective to some extent I know but I definitely see less jagginess and more vibrant colors.

SO, give the Detonator 40's a try if youre inclined to jump on .. I got no complaints.

ra5555

N64 Newbie
nudetothis said:
Dang yall its incredible. I'm not usually the type who goes for "beta" drivers but when nvidia spouted about up to 25% improvements with the new 40's I figured I'd give it a shot. I got nothing but good news to report. Here are my specs that matter:

Epox 8KHA+ (using onboard sound)
AthlonXP 1700+
512mb DDR PC2100
PNY Geforce 4 Ti4400
Maxtor 60gb quiet drive

With both PJ1.4 and 1.5beta, and using nvidia 28.32, Perfect Dark was "playable" if I set desktop depth to 16bit, but I still ran into audio chitter particularly during cut scenes. And, when online (winmodem) resources were tapped enough I had some slowdown problems. Of course the machine would run any off the shelf PC game just fine.

PJ1.5 was a huge jump of course. Suddenly PD is running 100%, even when the modem was tapping the CPU. But get this ... I still had to run 16 bit. And, there was still some slowdown when firing the rocket launcher. If I set the desktop to 32 bit and/or engage the anisotropic filter options in PJ64 it was pretty much just like before... slowdown and audio chitter.

So, tonight I go for the new Detonator 40. Settings are now for 32 bit, 4xs AA, 4x anisotropic, and I play PJ full screen at 1280x1024, monitor refresh at 85Hz.

Result: Perfect Dark is running like a top at these settings now. No slowdown with the rocket launcher. No problems whatsoever.
Display is crisp and deep. Very nice. The difference with the tweaked display settings is subjective to some extent I know but I definitely see less jagginess and more vibrant colors.

SO, give the Detonator 40's a try if youre inclined to jump on .. I got no complaints.

Detonator 4 has many issues, one of that I know is that it can't handle GTA3's Graphics very well, it slows down the movement of the game (lagg) and it is not so stable... since its still a beta.

Trotterwatch

It works fine in GTA3 for me (with a GF3 Ti200, framerate is as good as it ever was) - did you do a proper uninstall of your old drivers? These new ones seem to demand a clean install.

Josep

eyerun4phun
must 1.5 is completely playable in all respects with many games, and FULL detail for me, check out the screenshots submissions, and when i use it on my tv-out jeeezzz looks like ...i don't know what but insanely good!:)

OP
nudetothis

nudetothis

Well, dangit all to heck and back. Trouble in paradise. Might not apply to many though, and its weird. With the Detonator 40 installed I found a serious problem using my Adaptoid controller in certain games ... Perfect Dark being one, but it was also a problem in other like F-ZeroX. Just haywire response from the analog stick, but ONLY in full screen mode. It seems like maybe a delyed response or something. Windowed worked just fine.

Anyone know what this is or how to fix? Unfortunately it is, either directly or indirectly, caused by the graphics driver since the problem disappeared when I went back to the 30.82.

Waan2k

Emutalk Lover :)
Hello nudetothis, I have the same problem as you my controller has a delay in zelda when I use the new 40.41 beta drivers.

These drivers are beta so I went back to 29.42.

OP
nudetothis

nudetothis

Well, at least its good to have some corroboration. It's a real shame, too, because the Detonator 40 definitely does deliver. I was very impressed. Hopefully nvidia has this bug fixed for the WHQL version. It's good to know there's even more performance on tap in the GeF4.

jvolel

Destoryer of worlds
Josep said:
must 1.5 is completely playable in all respects with many games, and FULL detail for me, check out the screenshots submissions, and when i use it on my tv-out jeeezzz looks like ...i don't know what but insanely good!:)

i know what ya mean lol i've been doing that for a while now