What's new

Pixel Shader @ GF2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BTM

Polish Emu Scene Member
Anyone know how can one enable Pixel Shader on GF2 ?
I know ( from a good source ) that it can be done by manipulating the registry - but dont know exectly how.

Trotterwatch

You talking about Per Pixel shading like on Morrowind? If so, it ain't possible your source is incorrect (if it's a good source then shouldn't you ask them?). It is possible you are getting mixed up with Vertex shading which the GF2 can do - but is totally different (it will also be used automatically).

Per Pixel shading is AFAIK possible with the GF2 actually but the implementation is a totally different (and inferior) one to the one that is used by DX8 and the GF3 and above cards.

Last edited:
OP
BTM

BTM

Polish Emu Scene Member
Yep - im talking of the pixel shader in Morrowind ( shinny water and stuf )

My source is a fellow coder ( game coder - pro ) but he only saw it a couple of times , and in a website article , adres - forgotten ( no - not this forgotten ;] )

You say that it is posible via DX , i'v seen that DX9 can do Pixel Shading 2.0 but is prolly slow or sth.
And what do you mean by different ( inferior ) , sorry my english isn't that good @ tech talk : >

Last edited:

Trotterwatch

A techie probably needs to clarify all of the points in this post but, this is how I see it.

The GF2 supports some features of the full Pixel Shading set - but doesn't include support for the main thing, ie Programmable pixel shaders. Those are the type that were included for the first time with the GF3, and are responsible for all of those nice effects in games such as Morrowind.

Trotterwatch

Yeah it can't be done - but at least you can console yourself with the fact that in the near future the GF3/4 cards will be dirt cheap and will work perfectly with your Duron.

OP
BTM

BTM

Polish Emu Scene Member
cheap , that depends ;]
a year ago i'v bot Ge Force 2 MX 200 32 MB Ram for 290 zl , that was 'bout 65$ and 1/4 of my mothers pay money
and that's not cheap in here : >

0z0n

Oxygen pillow
I can advise RadeOn 9200, at which an excellent parity of the price and quality.
Videocard it is hardware supports Pixel Shaders versions 1.4 thus at it rather high parameters at work in this mode.
I tested, this videocard, and have remained her is pleased.
In Kiev cost of videocard HIS RadeOn 9200 w/64Mb DDR VRAM about 45-60 USD

0z0n

Oxygen pillow
She can, for you and out-of-date, but I position her, as a normal game variant. An excellent parity the price \ quality.
Excuse, but for RadeOn 9800Pro to pay 425 USD, very few people in a condition. Especially in the East Europe.

0z0n

Oxygen pillow
About, yes... I simply the newcomer at a forum, also have not understood yet...
Well, in anyone cases I have answered a post.

Last edited:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Duh but HELLO, do you think he needs this information STILL? Maybe, and maybe not. But still, bumping these old threads is not a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.