What's new

Perfect Ogre Battle 64 (Very Strange)

harryboni

Harryboni
I read this thing of black backgrounds to be an issue from the plugin, but i got ogre battle to work nearly perfect with battle background and good speed, this is the proof that this is not an issue from the plugin!(?)

But that happen yesterday, today when I was running the game again to take some pictures to show to you, the battle background was black and no matter what I tried to do it remained that way! Someone can explain this supernatural phenomenon?

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
I'm inclined to say that you didn't use Jabo's graphics plugin yesterday.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
there are plugin issues, that should be fixed in current 1.7 (at least for the U version).
that sort of weirdness can happen, i can't explain it.

K1rby64

Banned
why does everyone complain ? all the posts i read talk about problems in project 64 ! i'm sure there is no problems:plain:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
K1rby64 said:
why does everyone complain ? all the posts i read talk about problems in project 64 ! i'm sure there is no problems:plain:
Haven't you been paying attention? There are problems in many games when run in Project64, including Ogre Battle 64.

OP
H

harryboni

Harryboni
It was Project 64 1.6 with Jabo's Direct3D8 1.6, I wasn't dreaming!
This rom is in my computer for quite some time, but I never play it because it's slow (20-30 FPS), this must be because of low system specs.
So I loaded the rom and started to read the user manual on how to make games speed up. Tried the solutions one by one until i get 50-60 FPS and started to play (ignoring the fact that the game has issues) and I was surprised to see the battle background (I engaged in a few battles to confirm the fact).

My question is: When you restart the emulator some of the configuration reset to default?

OP
H

harryboni

Harryboni
Emulator core

-use Recompiler instead of Interpreter
-disable the speed limiter
-enable Register Caching
-enable Advanced Block Linking
-enable Larger Compiler Buffer
-don't enable the expansion pack if it's not needed
-disable TLB (but only if not needed!)

plugins

-use Direct3D HAL rather than RGB Emulation or Reference Rasterizer
-use the RSP recompiler core rather than interpreter core
-don't use any form of Framebuffer emulation
-don't enable Sync game to Audio
-use a lower resolution
-disable "change blending mode..."
-enable Display List Culling
-use Double or Triple Buffering rather than Transfer Memory

(Copied from user manual)

Any of these?

Smiff

Emutalk Member
most of that stuff is not relevant.
i'm not sure what happened in your case, but there are issues in v1.6 and before which Jabo has worked on to fix for v1.7. He has also improved the speed by nearly 2x by a new framebuffer method for this game. There are however issues in the Japanese version which are different from the others, we don't know why.
That's all I can tell you for sure.
If you can narrow down some setting that improved emulation in v1.6 great, please post in RDB thread as others would be interested in that.

OP
H

harryboni

Harryboni
I will see if I can find the right tune to this rom.
Can you tell when you will release the official Project 64 1.7 to the big public? And if you can't tell exactly, at least can you tell if it will be before 2007?

Anyway, thanks for your attention!

Krusha

The helpful one
So what if the backgorunds are black at least the game runs without any MAGOR things wrong with it i mean yoshi story on my pc has blue and green lines through it and you start with oonly the black and white yoshis and im not asking for help
(whew long post :) )

Seph Belmont

Whip it good...
Actually, the same thing happened to me once, on Project 64 1.6, default settings (with Jabo).

But that was some time ago and I don't play the game much. I don't think it is as much a setting fix, as it is just random happenstance. The background will show in battle, but most of the time, it won't.