What's new

Perfect Dark Problem

MagnetMan

Hopefully this isn't an already answered question as I am new to these boards. Anyway, I just started Perfect Dark and I am going around in the Carrington Institute doing the various training things. When I use the IR goggles or whatever (the thermal things that you are supposed to find a hidden door with), the screen goes mainly black with some VERY dark red tints and doesn't move, although I know I can still move since when I take off the goggles after moving I will be in a different spot. I tried turning up the brightness on my screen, but there is absolutely know detail. Other than this the game runs smooth enough (a FPS average of about 45-50 I'd say), but any tips on improving speed short of new hardware would be appreciated as well (I'll admit I don't know what most of the various options mean :p ). I know my processor isn't very good so don't worry about mentioning that.

My comp has the following:
1.0 GHz Athlon
256 DDRRAM
GeForceFX 5600 256MB
and plenty of hard drive space

Clements

Glide64 is the only plugin I know that supports this effect, although it may not work with the wrapper.

OP
M

MagnetMan

OK I got it working, but when I use the IR-scanner, although the picture is now there, the game runs at a framerate in the single digits. Any thoughts? Anything I can do besides getting a better processor (i.e. settings to tweak)?

mosquitogang201

it does the same thing for me, perfect dark plays at about 60fps the whole time until i turn on the IR scanner and then its down in the single digits, i would think theres some glide option or somthin to make it play smooth but i never found one

Clements

The effect probably needs HWFB (and so a Voodoo 4 or 5) to work fullspeed with Glide64. The game is completeable without the IR-Scanner.

Sir Camehan

Any video card that does not support Glide (ATI or NVIDIA brand) will not support HWFBE. Hardware framebuffer emulation support is only supported on Voodoo 4500 and upwards since these cards support auxillary framebuffers in video memory & they completely support Glide (most specifically Glide3x). Any other video card will not support it.

KyJelly

what's very strainge is that using PJ64 1.6 and the default plugin the spycam works in coop-mode, at full speed even! but does not function in SP-mode this is an extremely weird occurence!

does any1 else notice this? i just dont understand why every1 is saying the video plugin doesn't support this feature when it apparently does. please jabo read this and good luck.

bump

Last edited by a moderator: