What's new

Perfect Dark noob questions

x3m_br

Perfect Dark Addict
Hello. I've looked up these forums but I couldn't find the answers to my doubts so I decided to ask you guys for help..

I am having sound problems playing perfect dark on 1964.. When I try to emulate the game with any sound plugins I have, the sound and video become very choppy and slow.. but once I use the "no audio" plugin the video becomes perfectly fast (using GlN64) ...

So I'd like you guys to share your experiences on what are the best audio and video plugins (and where to get them), and also what is the best emulator for playing this game in your opinion...

sorry if that is too much of a noob attitude but I'm kinda desperate to play this great game again! (oh, the memories lol)

Clements

It's likely that your processor isn't up to standard for PD even with 1964, so try an earlier version of Azimer's Audio (use 0.30 if using 0.40 etc.) and you don't need to have the RSP checked.

Jabo's plugin is faster with PD than glN64(), so if you use that instead, more of your processor can be devoted to audio rather than the video thus giving you better audio (in theory). It would be helpful to know system specs, I'm just going on my gut at the moment.

OP
X

x3m_br

Perfect Dark Addict
Clements said:
It's likely that your processor isn't up to standard for PD even with 1964, so try an earlier version of Azimer's Audio (use 0.30 if using 0.40 etc.) and you don't need to have the RSP checked.

Jabo's plugin is faster with PD than glN64(), so if you use that instead, more of your processor can be devoted to audio rather than the video thus giving you better audio (in theory). It would be helpful to know system specs, I'm just going on my gut at the moment.

thanks for the help so far
yes i did realise that jabo's is actually faster than glN64(), but sound is still choppy, even though the FPS is steady as 40+

my specs are:
Pentium III 1000Mhz , 256Mb RAM, Geforce4 MX440, Win XP, Asus CUV-4XE mobo...

thanks for the quick help

Clements

You need to hit fullspeed [50/50 for PAL, 60/60 for NTSC] to get good audio as there is no frameskip like in other emulators or PC games.

A PIII 1Ghz should be sufficient to play most games probably including Perfect Dark... Try decreasing your resolution by a step to boost the speed up and turning off Anti-Aliasing or AF if you have that on.

OP
X

x3m_br

Perfect Dark Addict
thanks man, once I got the Jano's + Azimer 0.30 it works as well as I ever expected it to. Full frame rate, full sound, no gameplay-affecting glitches..

thanks again for your help

only one more extremely pathetic question (lol): Can I find any kinds of save states somewhere so I don't have to beat the whole game all over again?? (hope this doesn't violate the rules)
This is a great game but I don't feel like spending another 20 hours trying to beat challenge 30 and all..

R

rico001

pd saves states

x3m_br said:
thanks man, once I got the Jano's + Azimer 0.30 it works as well as I ever expected it to. Full frame rate, full sound, no gameplay-affecting glitches..

thanks again for your help

only one more extremely pathetic question (lol): Can I find any kinds of save states somewhere so I don't have to beat the whole game all over again?? (hope this doesn't violate the rules)
This is a great game but I don't feel like spending another 20 hours trying to beat challenge 30 and all..
search this 1964 forum for save states.