What's new

Pentium4 Vs. Athlon

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
I want to heard your opinions, wich processor is better for gaming and emulation, and also which one is the faster doing common tasks, the Pentium4 or the Athlone? Common, common. I want some opinions about it

Eagle

aka Alshain
Really, neither one is worse than the other. They are about equal in performance, which makes AMD better because they are cheaper. This is assuming you know that an Intel 2.0gig is about the equivilent of a 1.6 AMD.

Eagle

aka Alshain
However, I've recently been made aware that P4 is easier to install. Its aparently not hard to crush the core of an AMD processor while installing the heatsink. P4 on the other hand has an interesting locking mechanism to make it simple.

RPGlover12

the bad thing about amd is that it over heat hell fast
unlike pentium pentium doesn't over heat dats y i went for p4 :)

ra5555

N64 Newbie
remember that P4 is a lot more cooler and it have a much better overclockability, esciencially you can overclock a p4 1.6a to 2.4ghz with a normal cooler stably

RPGlover12

wow dats like 800 mhz i dont think dats possible maybe u mean 1.6 to 2.0 im ay say ok :) but not 800mhz if that so can i overclock my p4 1.7 to 2.5 ??? without gettin a new fan or anything

RPGlover12

when i bought it it said 1.6 but when i installed it i found it sayin 1.7 wat could be causin this trouble ???

RPGlover12

yes but see how fast does it overheat gokuss4 it over heats like 10 times faster than pentium though dats y i go for pentium

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
IIRC P4 isn't necessarily cooler, it has a built in mechanism to slow itself down when it starts getting too hot. Basicaly that means the better the heat sink, the better the speed. AMD doesn't do this, which is a bad thing IMO (because it doesn't protect against overheating), but nonetheless you are always at full speed.

AMD are nice, don't get me wrong, in fact the price you pay for them is well worth it, intel rips you off. Especialy if you are a gamer, your best bet is by far an AMD.

EDIT:

You know I feel like ranting, so heres an example of how intel has historicaly ripped off its customers. ;)

In the 386/486 days, you could buy an SX or a DX processor. The DX is the same thing, only it included a math coprocessor, and costed you 25% more.

Well, with intel, all of their processors INCLUDED the math coprocessor in the die. Only on the SX processor, they had the math coprocessor disabled (some say they fried it as part of the process). So all of these processors were essentialy exactly the same, but intel would go out of their way to cripple one processor so that they could get away with selling it cheaper and thenceforth taking the low end market away from the competition.

Heres where it gets worse, intel also sold an expensive as hell math coprocessor upgrade for the SX users. The upgrade processor was realy a whole new processor that just told the old one to go to sleep!

Intels celeron sham works similarly, only here they scrap about $10 worth of raw materials, and make it only run on a slower front side bus speed, then sell it for about $100 less. I remember in the days of the celeron 300a, you could overclock it to 450, and it actualy ran faster than its pentium counterpart at the same raw clock speed! It was about this time that intel began heavily cracking down on preventing overclocking, gee I wonder why. They have historicaly been against overclocking completely because they don't want customers getting more out of their already existing hardware. Funny how all current AMD processors don't have multiplier/fsb locks that you can't override, yet intels are the opposite.

Not exactly the best company ethnics here, in fact right now they are living entirely on the false concept that "more mhz is faster".

Last edited:

vileP

I'm not sure if this will change anyone's mind on what people think about Athlon vs. P4's, but look at this.
You could say that the Athlon processors can do more instructions per clock cycle, but the P4's have higher clock speeds. The P4's can do more integer instructions than the Athlon, but the Athlon can do more floating point instructions than the P4. IMO, the only think that seperate the P4 and the Athlon is the price, where AMD wins.

Stezo2k

S-2K
the p4 has a higher speed cuz intel name their proceccors 2.5 ghz when they are 2.0 really. Amd do a similar thing, a athlonXP 2000 1.8ghz is the equivilent to a 2ghz pentium 4. Pentium 4s have a few bugs, and if u dont belive me why are there patches to get game x to work with P4? So what do ya go for? AthlonXP cuz there price is awesome and they are better than pentium 4's benchmarks prove it

also most athlonXP motherboards support DDRram, where as harldly any Intel based motherboards dont (accordin to my m8)

Stez

gogododo_313

The one and only
i believe most pentium mb's do use ddram nowadays. intel figured out they weren't going anywhere with their usual strategy of picking the most overpriced product they could.

OP
t0rek

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
OK, so which processor is best for gaming? and how can I overclock my proccesor? How much can I overclock it?

Eagle

aka Alshain
Most AMD motherboards have frequency stepping, which means you can easily overlock. My new ASUS A7S333 has jumperfree stepping to make it simple. I'll probably keep the Athlon XP 2000 at 1.6g where its designed to be though. I dont want the warranty going south.

sk8bloke22

roll for life
i thought athlon xp's were shit at overclocking cos they are locked? they can be unlocked, but its a bit tricky.

Josep

eyerun4phun
i dunno what everyone else said, but in response to the initial thread, as far as i know, athlon kicks p4's butt;)