What's new

PC Won't Boot!

Today when I turned on my secondary computer it wouldn't boot up at all. The monitor is on but displays nothing, the keyboard isn't detected, and it doesn't sound like it's making any attempt at all to start up. The CD Drives all open and close, and the system lights up but will not do anything beyond that. Could the motherboard be fried? What do you guys think the problem could be? Thx in advance.

OP
CrzCorvette
Is there a way to test if the power supply is bad? Any easy way to fix it or would I have to buy a new one?

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
the easiest would be to borrow a working PSU from another computer and try it out on yours. i don't know of any empirical way to test it... maybe some combination of voltmeters and whatnot.

if you do need to replace it, may i suggest going out and buying a reliable one, say from antec or enermax. i had two cheap generic 300W's dying on me in 2 years. the first one was obvious; everytime I booted, it'd turn on for a split second before powering down. The second time, I got the exact same situation you described - lights on, black screen, no POST. I thought it was the motherboard too, or maybe the CPU. But nope, power supply. I have an Enermax now. =P

Eagle

aka Alshain
zAlbee said:
the easiest would be to borrow a working PSU from another computer and try it out on yours. i don't know of any empirical way to test it... maybe some combination of voltmeters and whatnot.

There is an easier way... but you have to have access to a multimeter. Corvette, these guys are probably right. If a transistor has blown in your PSU it may still provide some power but not on all channels which would explain the little activity you are seeing with the CD-Rom. Before you go and replace the PSU though, if you have a power strip, plug some other stuff into it and see if it works. I have had power strips and surge protectors go bad as well and yet I would still get enough power to run the monitor. Try testing it with your other PC, if your other PC doesn't start then its the power strip.

Last edited:
OP
CrzCorvette
I swapped in a working PSU and it did the same thing. Also tried using a different power strip but that didn't work either. I noticed the fan on the motherboard works, so I'm thinking it could be a blown motherboard. Any clues?

sheik124

Emutalk Member
my A7N8X-E gave me the same exact symptoms, swapped it out for a nother mobo, worked just fine ;)
turns out a power surge killed it, but none of the other components in my PC, thank god, quick RMA and i fixed the problem

Eagle

aka Alshain
Hmm thats a tough one then, it could indeed be the motherboard. You tried the power strip and the PSU, make sure you have switched out both at the same time, my brother had a PSU and power strip go bad in one power surge. Also if you are using any sort of extension cords between the powerstrip and the wall, swap them, also try swapping the power cable between the PSU and the PC. Basically before buying a new mobo you want to eliminate all other options.

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
yeah... make sure you try all the simpler solutions first. replacing the motherboard is a major hassle.

btw Powerlord, that was mostly just me being annoyed at cheap power supplies that fail all the time. grrr. anyone know what i can do with my two deadweights? preferably something "fun" :p

Eagle

aka Alshain
zAlbee said:
btw Powerlord, that was mostly just me being annoyed at cheap power supplies that fail all the time. grrr. anyone know what i can do with my two deadweights? preferably something "fun" :p

That depends on if you have any access to some C4 Explosives.
:term: