What's new

PC Upgrade.

OP
DarthDazDC

DarthDazDC

An Alright Guy
lovely, im thinkin of orderin the motherboard maybe tonight or tommora, so for definite ive got the main thing sorted, then i can focus on the athlon x2 3800+ and 7800Gt fully

xneoangel

Persona User
Thats awesome anyway i wish you luck selling your old parts and enjoy the new pc youll have soon. :happy:

OP
DarthDazDC

DarthDazDC

An Alright Guy
well, ordered the motherboard, should get it on wednesday, so now i can fully focus on how to get the athlon x2 3800+ and the 7800gt :D

OP
DarthDazDC

DarthDazDC

An Alright Guy
hehe, not for a while, maybe when it reaches 1.0 but we'll see ;)
im wonderin tho, if i got the 7800, wot would the processor have to be to be the bottleneck? would it be an athlon 64 3200+? or an athlon 64 3000+?

GCFreak

the most bottleneck cpu possible would probably be an athlon ~1.4ghz or sumthin, p3 1ghz and belows bottleneck....
athlon 64's are nowhere near bottleneck for that card ;)

OP
DarthDazDC

DarthDazDC

An Alright Guy
An update now, i've ordered a 256mb geforce 6600gt from XFT, and from wot ive seen it's perfect for me, so i need to know sum stuff, if cooliscool reads this i'd be grateful for his help.
Would i have to uninstall the drivers for the 5600 ultra now, and then when ive slotted the 6600gt in, would it recognize it or what? thanks.

arnalion

Nintendo Fan
DarthDazDC said:
hehe, not for a while, maybe when it reaches 1.0 but we'll see ;)
im wonderin tho, if i got the 7800, wot would the processor have to be to be the bottleneck? would it be an athlon 64 3200+? or an athlon 64 3000+?

An AMD XP 64 under 3400+ would probably be a bottleneck for 7800GT, but a 3000+ or 3200+ can be overklocked so....

It's recommended to have atleast 3500+ for 7800GTX

GCFreak

DarthDazDC said:
An update now, i've ordered a 256mb geforce 6600gt from XFT, and from wot ive seen it's perfect for me, so i need to know sum stuff, if cooliscool reads this i'd be grateful for his help.
Would i have to uninstall the drivers for the 5600 ultra now, and then when ive slotted the 6600gt in, would it recognize it or what? thanks.

Nice, It will automatically pick up the drivers then you reboot and probably reinstall the forceware again.

rcgamer

the old guy
DarthDazDC said:

cooliscool already answered this several pages back, but again, download some new drivers for your card at www.guru3d.com or nvidia.com . go with either the 79.11 or one of the 80 series drivers. get driver cleaner. uninstall your old drivers and boot up in safe mode, now use driver cleaner to clean any remaining old driver files(they can really screw up your graphics). after this turn off your pc and install the new card, now boot up and when it autodetects your new card click cancel. now go to where you dled the new drivers and install them.

OP
DarthDazDC

DarthDazDC

An Alright Guy
cheers, im gettin it so i can finally run half life 2 in direct x 9 at last, and see how lost coast looks like in hdr.
What im thinkin of is every 2 or so months i'll upgrade or add/replace a certain thing that needs it. So ive ordered a 16x dvd writer to be the master drive, with my old dvd writer at 8x to be at the bottom.
Probably next it'll be a sound card or a secondary hard rive, as me 120gb is fillin up fast.

OP
DarthDazDC

DarthDazDC

An Alright Guy
well, i got the card earlier today, and the difference is fuckin amazin.
I can now play Half life 2 Lost Coast with all settings on high, with HDR on full with near 60fps at all times :D
i can play serious sam 2 at playable speeds now, also on high :D
and far cry came with the card too, which is great and gonna install it soon.
So all in all this is gonna last me for a long while yet.