What's new

PC hardware spec help

MrTom

Hello,

I am new to this forum but think I am writing this in the correct part. My PC is as follows.

AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (1.83Ghz)
ATI Radeon 9550 256mb
Creative SB Live!
896mb Single Channel DDR266 (or 512mb Single Channel DDR400)

My question is about emulation performance. It runs a lot of games very well. But some games the sound gets a bit muddled up and the graphics get a bit jumpy. When I run it at 896mb of slow ram it actually works a bit better than 512mb of faster ram. Also if I go in to my graphics drivers and turn the quality all the way down and set it to speed that helps quite a lot. So my real question is what could be a cost effective way of making my PC a bit more suitable to running N64 emulators.

I could look out for a cheap used Athlon XP 3200+ though I don’t really like using used parts. Though I assume this would help quite a bit. Would it really help that much though?

My mother bored can run duel channel RAM and I can get 2 x 1gb of DDR400 quite cheaply. More RAM looks to be more important than RAM speed but this would give me both. Would this help or just be OTT?

I can not imagine that the graphics cars would be limiting as the N64 graphics are relatively very simple. Though there is a significant improvement in how smooth and flowing the graphics are if I set the drivers to drop quality in favour of speed. I don’t really know what to make of it. Any thoughts?

Or should I just get a new PC? If so what would be a good spec for a very low cost solution?

Many Thanks

Clements

Sound glitches can normally be solved by using the sync audio option with Jabo's audio plugin, and graphical jumps may be solved with a graphics plugin switch. Your hardware should run the majority of games smoothly.

If you kitted your PC out with 1GB dual channel PC3200 RAM and overclocked that Athlon XP 2500+ to 2.2GHz by setting the FSB to 400MHz (= a free 3200+), you might see some benefit in various applications. (Probably not anything N64 related, though). Very cheap upgrade. I strongly recommend you don't buy a 3200+.

OP
M

MrTom

Thank you for your advice. I think I will just stick with what I have for now then :)