What's new

Partitions question?

2bzy4ne1

Mmmmm....Beeeeerrrr
What are the benifits of having another partition on your hard drive? How would you go on partitioning you hard drive? Is there a program that does that?

iq_132

Banned
Partition Magic is the best program to partition a hard drive. The benefits of it, are that you can easily put another OS on the second partition. I can't really think of a benefit without having a second OS.

Eagle

aka Alshain
It used to be that before the days of LBA motherboards, the mobo could only read 512meg on each partition. So you made one partition out of your entire 2gig hard drive... well, you would still only get to use 512MB of your HD. So people would make many 512mb partitions and maximize their hard drives abilities. Now motherboards have the setting for LBA hard drives and can accomplish it with one partition. The other advantage is dual boot systems as iq mentioned.

Allnatural

Having 2+ partitions is good for data back-ups as well. I keep all of my important stuff on a seperate partition so that if (or rather when) Windows decides to "fly south," I won't lose my important stuff. Of course, it's better still to use a second hard drive to protect against hardware failure.

I you want a good, free partition program, there's always FDISK (DOS). However, unlike Partition Magic, all existing data is lost during the process.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Careful with partition magic, its a bit shabby in its schemes (and sometimes you lose all of your data). Your always best off clearing your HDD out and using fdisk to create your partition table from scratch.

mesman00

What's that...?
hows mandrakes diskdrake? can that split ntfs partitions, or just fat32's...cause i wanna install mandrake 9.0 when the final version is realeased, but don't wanna have to reformat my whole comp, cuz i don't wanan lose all my stuff

zorbid

I have a dedicated partition for the virtual memory (pagefile.sys), so it is never fragmented :p.

RJA

The PC Wiz
Eagle,

The hard disk drive capacity limit, your are talking about,
usually occurs *only* with 486s- and the limit you are talking about is 504 MB, *NOT* 528 MB, or 512 MB.

RJA

The PC Wiz
AllNatrual,

Is it just me?

I noticed a *MAJOR* bug with FDISK,
but only occurs with my Maxtor 80 GB UDMA 100 HDD:

FDISK wrongly "thinks" my new Maxtor 80 GB hard disk drive is only 12,976MB!

..But my Maxtor 13 GB UDMA 66 HDD works correctly
with FDISK and reports 13,029 MB.

..So I *must* use Partition Magic.

Has *anyone* else seen this FDISK bug?

Last edited:

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
zorbid said:
I have a dedicated partition for the virtual memory (pagefile.sys), so it is never fragmented :p.

Thats a good idea, unix OSes work the same way, windows makes it a pain in the ass for you though, especialy XP because it always wants to tell you that the partition has no space free even though you are already well aware of the fact.

Allnatural

Re: AllNatrual,

RJA said:
Is it just me?

I noticed a *MAJOR* bug with FDISK,
but only occurs with my Maxtor 80 GB UDMA 100 HDD:

FDISK wrongly "thinks" my new Maxtor 80 GB hard disk drive is only 12,976MB!

..But my Maxtor 13 GB UDMA 66 HDD works correctly
with FDISK and reports 13,029 MB.

..So I *must* use Partition Magic.

Has *anyone* else seen this FDISK bug?
Read this.

OP
2bzy4ne1

2bzy4ne1

Mmmmm....Beeeeerrrr
just came here to tell you guys that partition magic worked and now i have an NTFS partition on my hard drive. I love the compress feature that comes with this file system. :D

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
2bzy4ne1 said:
just came here to tell you guys that partition magic worked and now i have an NTFS partition on my hard drive. I love the compress feature that comes with this file system. :D

don't forget to chkdsk that partition, remember pm isn't perfect.

ra5555

N64 Newbie
2bzy4ne1 said:
Where do I get it?

Careful with Partition Magic, it once crashed during the process of Partitioning in windows ??? creating a lot of truble. if you have the time format your harddrive and use fdisk.