What's new

paper mario hanging on level-up

RyuujinYuushi

God bless the spoon.
Please listen, no ass-hole responses.

Because I'm sure I could've gotten help with my Paper Mario issues last time, I want someone to help me with this.

In south Toad Town, in the sewer, after fighting those blue Koopa Troopas, I level up.. sort of. The level up thing comes down and the heart and flower float up, but it freezes right when the flower and heart began floating. The FPS is still at 60, so does anyone know what's wrong?

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
I've had this problem, too. Something is causing the emulator to hang at level up. I do not know what. The only possible solution seems to be to not get level up.

Pauncho

i was able to finish the game fine on pj64. are u using any cheats? i think i remember hearing cheats made u freeze at leveling up

OP
R

RyuujinYuushi

God bless the spoon.
I had codes on, I turned them off, and the effect of them didn't leave.. is that the problem? Yes, I did load my state after turning them off, restarted, etc. My save is right before the level up..

Doomulation

There is a cheat to gain level 99 i believe. Then it's playable, but not so fun of course........

And I know there's some cheat that DOES cause this, what could it be, hm? :/

Rasmus

Banned
hmm, but cheats would definetly ruin this gem of a game...

I had no problems completing the game, it only froze once, but not at level up... it's because i'm using xp...

Doomulation

Rasmus said:
hmm, but cheats would definetly ruin this gem of a game...

I had no problems completing the game, it only froze once, but not at level up... it's because i'm using xp...
Whether it is XP or not, the emulator still hangs.

Pauncho

try playing the game from the start with no cheats, and c if it still hangs. i didnt use cheats and completed teh game fine.

Corak

Nintendo gamer
Pauncho said:
try playing the game from the start with no cheats, and c if it still hangs. i didnt use cheats and completed teh game fine.

without leveling up? Isn't it essential for an rpg to level up to beat tougher oponents? Or is leveling up in Paper Mario just show?

Whatever I think I'll wait a bit with this one. I think I'll try Jet Force Gemini first.

StbngWstwrd

Bow before me!
Hanging on level-up? Hm...I played it start to finish with no problems, save some graphical errors. I used 1.4, though, and my computer is pretty fast (at least, it would be if my sister's IM programs didn't hog all the ram!)

HyperKnuckes

RyuujinYuushi, what graphics plugin are you using? I use Glide 0.2 and it hangs on the level ups, I got around it by using Jabo's D3D7 plugin right before the level up, savestate, and then switch back to Glide...It's been working fine, but then again. I Haven't leveled up again...gotta keep that F5 key handy. :)

Smiff

Emutalk Member
HyperKnuckes said:
RyuujinYuushi, what graphics plugin are you using? I use Glide 0.2 and it hangs on the level ups, I got around it by using Jabo's D3D7 plugin right before the level up, savestate, and then switch back to Glide...It's been working fine, but then again. I Haven't leveled up again...gotta keep that F5 key handy. :)

what stops you using jabo's plugin all the time?

LD.

*poke*
The flickering problems are a lot less for me using Glide64 than with Jabo's D3D. I know that switching on the buffers and all that jazz halps a lot, but it also slows the game down unbearably (for my lame specs anyway).

Also, Glide64 doesn't have the black sprite problem for the main characters (although it does still affect the keys and whatnot). The only thing that's stopping it from completely surpassing Jabo's is the fact that the gfx crash out on level up.

All IMO, of course.