What's new

Paper Mario: Fix For Level Up Freeze (PJ64 v1.6)

Elric

The Paper Mario Level Up Freeze Fix
I discovered, as I'm sure many of you have, that Paper Mario likes to freeze up when you Level Up. Something told me, however, that this wasn't a problem with the Emulator, but rather a problem with the cheats.

It turns out that if you're using the Max BP cheat, when it's time to Level Up, the game freezes. It seems it can't figure out what to do when you have 127 BP.

So, I set about to create a solution for this problem. The end result is a new code that sets your BP to 60. When you get into a battle that will Level you up at the end, disable the Max BP code, and turn on my code. After the battle, you can level up perfectly. Simply choose to raise your HP or your FP. After the battle is over, and you're back on the Map Screen, disable my BP code, and re-enable the Max BP code.

How To "Install"
First and foremost: Back up your current cheats list! To do this, go to your Project64 directory, and make yourself a new folder. Name it Backup, and then move the file Project64.cht into that new folder. If, for some reason, you have problems with my cheat file, you can just delete it, and move the original file from the Backups folder back to the main PJ64 folder.

To "install" my cheat list, just download the file attached to this post, then Un-RAR it into your Project 64 v1.6 directory. By default, this is C:\Program Files\Project64 1.6\

Edit: file removed by Gent

Gent

The Soul Reaving Gentleman
Administrator
Ok this is just silly. There is no way you need to suplly a new file just for this, plus the fact of what you did in the file was abosolutly stupid. You want something fixed? report it :) dont change a value lol and call it a fix because serious there is no need here for a entry of two codes. Also what really annoys me is you did not mention what region you have :p fixed as it were.

So here goes:

Paper Mario (U)

Original Code

Max\Badge Points
8010F298 007F

Erics added code

Elric's Level Up Freeze Fix
8010F298 003C

Note:
Use this in conjunction with the Max BP code. When you're about to Level Up, turn the Max BP code off, and turn this code on. It will set your BP to 60. After you Level Up, turn this code off, and turn the Max BP code back on.

Notice all that has changed is the end value ...

Anyway now i know this is a issue and god how i wish you people would just report these things ...

you simply do this: Right click on Max\Badge Points cheat and click edit. If you cant see a edit then you need to untick hide advanced! to do this goto Options/Settings/Options and then untick Hide Advanced Settings.

Max\Badge Points

Max\Badge Points Selector
8010F298 00??

3C 60 Badge Points
7F 127 Badge Points

Note:

When you're about to Level Up, select 60 Badge Points. After you have Leveled Up, reselect 7F 127 Badge Points. This will prevent a freezing issue.

See how easy that is ? :)

Also do the same for the E Region game.

Paper Mario (E)

8010DD98 00??

3C 60 Badge Points
7F 127 Badge Points

Note:

When you're about to Level Up, select 60 Badge Points. After you have Leveled Up, reselect 7F 127 Badge Points. This will prevent a freezing issue.

OP
Elric

Elric

Heaven forbid I try to make it easy for those who don't know how to edit the cheats, and would rather just download a new version of the cheats file. Heck, I didn't even know you could edit the cheats from within PJ64 until after I was done with that. I'm used to dealing with people who can barely figure out how to unzip a file to install something, much less edit a file to add a code. They ain't the brightest peoples... :p

As for not reporting it, I didn't realize that the main PJ64 forum was for reporting problems. I'm used to seeing a, "Problems? Report them here, please" type thread or section of the forums. I understand how it works here now, and I will endevor to make sure all future problems are reported in the main PJ64 forums. I apologize for my mistake.