What's new

P2P users - THIS is what you/we want

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
skull1 said:
im behind a firewall and having a hardtime setting up the program. it would be great if someone here can teach how to set it up properly. what are things i need to know, what access rights to i need? also i can't use irc here if thats any help.
There's an irc browser right on emutalk if you'd want to know. Just that IRC's down right now.
Anyway, I guess that you'll just have to let the port of which it uses through the firewall.

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
skull1 said:
im behind a firewall and having a hardtime setting up the program. it would be great if someone here can teach how to set it up properly. what are things i need to know, what access rights to i need? also i can't use irc here if thats any help.

hardware or software firewall?

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Josep said:
and life isn't fair!:) Come on smiff, don't compare everything in the world, ever heard of Alternatives? Well understanding them and how they work is cool, but its a shit alternative;) just an opinion:blush:

well you're wrong, that's just my opinion

Josep

eyerun4phun
P2P=Make sure the other person is on, or you don't get anything or it screws up the transfer when they leave.

Thats all it is, just a big hassel, unless of course your getting 50kb files, and even then...;)

The point is, relying on someone else for those big downloads and uploads is not near as realiable as some other alternatives.

Consistency is what you don't get in P2P, speed, avaliablity, reliability. You lose all those in P2P, unless of course you know the source of which you are getting from, and yes, even then that isn't enough with P2P. SOMETIMES;)

Last edited:
OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
the more popular something is, the more people have it, the more likely you are to want it, the more people you can download it from... even different parts of the same file at once, handled seamlessly by the client... seems like a good modal to me. and I haven't seen many 50kb movies, even though i have seen many succesful movie transfers ;). I do think that you probably need broadband to enjoy P2P though.

Josep

eyerun4phun
i do have broadband, but let me ask you this smiff, P2P and just downloading off random people that you find off of a search engine? (with some prog) or specific people, like you know the source your downloading from? If you have no idea who the source is, erm, kinda faulty with P2P, at least in my experiences, but if you know who it is;) then thats all good. But if your talking about random peeps, you run into asf and divx crap, usually terrible quality for movies, WON'T go into that;) an idiots that rename files and make them viruses, trojans and crap, but i've heard thats not much of a problem anymore...

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
eh? gnutella effectively IS a search engine, file transfers are just over HTTP. and what's "divx crap"? DivX is god's gift to movie piracy, aiiight, and ASF you can just convert to avi with an old version of Vdub...

Josep

eyerun4phun
aww, come on, if you have broadband those are pointless steps!!:) Just get the straight "hard-copies" so to speak;) I convert with Divx all the time to "playable" versions of the movie for my dvd player, most of the time its always older movies that are in divx though, unless of course the "new" movie has been out long enough for people to throw them into divx and THEN put them on P2P programs. P2P has its ups and downs, mostly down for me;)

Josep

eyerun4phun
Smiff said:
file transfers are just over HTTP.

wha?! i missed that part!:) over HTTP!? EXTREMELY rare to find good HTTP file transfer sites, and when they are good, you usually can't find them on gnetlla, or whatever its called. Unless times have changed and its "the thing to do" for doing file transfers, BUT damn, last time i checked file transfers over HTTP were for files under 10megs;) (technically speaking, not exactly;))

Harteex

Harteex das Brot
yes... You should connect to the firewall and open a port for the computer you want to run it on... then you should specify that port in the settings in Gnucleus.

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
yah.. log in to firewall, forward a port (any number from 100-65000) to your PC (e.g. forward 6346 to 192.168.0.2, if that is your PC) then in Gnucleus, set port to the same number, and you're done. Leave "Local IP" to autodetect. You'll know it's working when Gnucleus starts working much better :) (lots more uploads, become ultrapeer, more search results, more succesful downloads.. big difference!)

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
another tip for people ... disconnect from Morpheus users whenever you get the chance, they tend not to work well. You want connection to Limewire and Gnucleus users for best results (this isn't bullshit!).

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
heh, i've got a nice compromise - download from Kazaa if you really need to, but don't share on it.. share on Gnutella :)

Harteex

Harteex das Brot
nah... Kazaa sucks... use WinMX instead...

I have 11 gb Ayumi Hamasaki musicvideos thanks to WinMX :D

One thing I would like to see on Gnucleus (maybe I missed it?) is an ability to browse users share. If I see someone on WinMX who isn't sharing, I'm closing him. Would like to do the same on Gnucleus.

skull1

im9i7
Smiff said:
yah.. log in to firewall, forward a port (any number from 100-65000) to your PC (e.g. forward 6346 to 192.168.0.2, if that is your PC) then in Gnucleus, set port to the same number, and you're done. Leave "Local IP" to autodetect. You'll know it's working when Gnucleus starts working much better :) (lots more uploads, become ultrapeer, more search results, more succesful downloads.. big difference!)

i forgot to say im behind a firewall/proxy server. i dont admin rights to the firewall.

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
ah well then you're b*gg*r*d... you'll only be able to download/upload from people who are not behind firewalls, quite a big problem, i'm not sure how other P2P apps cope with this.. shame.